Wiccans . . . Do you believe in the Watchers?

I was reading an article just now and it was talking about how wiccans believe in the Watchers. Can you describe these beings? How you know about them? Have you had any experiences with them?

Have you ever had their help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am NOT wiccan, I am Pagan, however this should help...

These guardians are summoned in each of the four corners or directions of the circle: East, South, West, and North. They are set there to guard and protect the circle. The origin of the Watchtowers is in Cabbalistic magick. This calling of the Watchtowers usually takes place during what is known in Wicca as "Calling the Quarters."
    Traditional Witchcraft does not utilize the calling of Watchtowers; it does however, call Guardians. These Guardians are often the spirits with whom a person feels comfortable with and has developed some form of a relationship with. Possible guardians might be one of the Ancestors, a "spirit guide," or other spirtual entity with which the person is familiar with.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You mean like Weight Watchers? I'm not Wiccan, but I believe in them... I've never had any experience with them myself, but I have lots of friends who have and they did very well. I don't think you have to be a particular religion to go though.

Anonymous

• This is very interesting. This is from a book called "The Watcher"
    I am forgotten until you remember me.
    I am the living root; the forever Tree –
    I await beneath the senses for the soul who truly listens with an ear to hear my
    mystery ... and in the song of such a one I am remembered; and remembering
    will set the sacred free ...
    to walk through dreams that can rebuild the ancient trackways,
    to awaken memories of fires on the hills,
    to call the faidh’n and ceoltoiri to attend me
    as I plant the living legends in the places of the deep,
    (where the forgotten ones still sleep)
    of the forest of profusion of the ever-living Tree ..."
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• That term has been used a couple of different ways that I know of, can you be more specific about what the article was referring to?

I have never heard of the book quoted above. It sounds interesting.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Thats pretty pnw!

In all my reading and practicing Ive never come across anything called "the Watchers" so, for me, NO dont believe in them LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Hey that would be more of a help. Can you post a link to the article OP?

Watchers to Wiccans and Pagans a lot of time means a guardian of the towers or corners. They are ancient keepers that have been their since the beginning.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yes, I will post the link. It was interesting. I was just wondering if that was something that you really believed in.

Wicca

I want to preface though that the article was about the Biblical Analysis of some of the beliefs. But in a way it almost validates some of the Wiccan beliefs, by saying that some of the experiences are real and are even seen in the Bible.

Anonymous

• Buffy the Vampire slayer had a watcher! His name was Giles.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Ahhh the watchtowers/guardians. Ok I get it now LOL. Ive always just said Guardians.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I like this... It pretty much sums things up...

"In all probability, not a single element of the Wiccan story is true. The evidence is overwhelming that Wicca is . . . a 1950s concoction . . . of an English civil servant and amateur anthropologist" named Gerald Gardner.{53} But surely such questionable historical origins cast doubt on the truth of Wiccan religious beliefs as well.

Christianity, however, is firmly rooted in the historical reality of Jesus of Nazareth, whose claim to be the only way to God was clearly vindicated when God "furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."

Anonymous