when to switch toothpastes

my son is two turning three in october. he's been using the safe toothpaste for awhile now and i don't think its working because his breath stinks and some plaque won't scrub off. i tried using regular toothpaste last time he brushed and it worked for the plaque but i'm afraid of him swollowing the toothpaste when he gargles..becuz he doesn't really "gargle"..he sips the water swollows a lil and spits out the rest thinking that he is gargling. i'm afraid to try it again BUT IT WORKED SO WELL! when can i look forward to switching toothpastes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• As soon as he can spit it out instead of swallowing it, you can switch. Our son is 3 and we switched about 6 mos ago. I think we use Aqua Fresh for kids. It has a more kid-friendly taste, not as hot as the adult flavors. I have seen a real improvement in his breath and his teeth since switching. They are much more clean and white.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• A little now and then won't hurt.
    But he shouldn't use it everyday until he knows not to swallow and can spit. That's usually after 3 but before 4. Get some little cups and start have him practicing taking a sip but not swallowing. Have him practice swishing and spitting it back out. Once he can do that, you can switch.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Get him the kids toothpastes made by Crest or Aquafresh. He really needs to swallow a lot for anything to happen. Have him practice the swish and spit with water. He only needs less than a pea size amount of toothpaste too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Until he can spit, don't give him the flouride pastes. (per our pediatric dentist)

We've had great luck with battery operated toothbrushes!! It took a bit for them to get used to the vibrating in their mouths LOL but they're working great for them now!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Try Tom's of Maine. When is his next 6 month check up? If his breath smells, he may have a cavity.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• my dd started using character toothpaste at 2 I told her she has to spit when she brushes or sho could get really sick so she spits. Good luck
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My 3 yr old uses children's toothpaste (crest or colgate). I put a tiny dab on his brush and then I brush his teeth 1st, when I am done it is his turn to 'brush'. I also give him a cup to swish water and rinse with.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't give him floride until he stops swallowing toothpaste. Maybe cut back on the gargling.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 10:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009