Tylenol to help her sleep?

I think my daughter is teething, and the pain is keeping her from getting a good night's sleep. Is it ok to give her a small amount of Tylenol to help her sleep better?

I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I feel like I'm "drugging" my baby to sleep, like Casey Anthony did with Caylee (with chloroform). She did it so she could party. I just want to help my daughter get a good night's rest. Still, it bothers me when I think about it...I don't know...I think I THINK too much!! lol

She's almost a year old btw.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Giving a child Tylenol or Advil for pain or illness is NOT drugging them to sleep. Give her a dose of Advil (by weight) it works better and longer than Tylenol.

BTW, Casey Anthony wasn't giving her child medication to ease pain, she was killing her child. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Go for it. Get the amount that is suitable for her by her WEIGHT (age doesn't matter as much as weight does) and give her a dose. You can use the infant Motrin as well. I think every pediatrician's office has the dosage charts.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Oh, I wanted to add, you're not "drugging your baby to sleep". You're doing something to take the edge off of her pain. There is a HUGE difference. Tylenol and Motrin do not cause drowsiness, they are used to reduce pain and inflammation.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If you were in a car wreck today - not injured but banged up - would you take something to ease the aches and pains so you could sleep? Would you consider that "drugging yourself up" or simple, practical use of medicine?

Teething hurts. Your baby needs sleep to grow and develop properly. We forget how critical sleep is since we aren't "doing anything" in our sleep. But our bodies are making repairs, memories and knowledge are being properly stored for long term use, and in children, growth hormones is produced. No, poor, or too little sleep means poor growth, poor mental development, and poor health. Give her the tylenol. Let her get the rest she needs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• giving her tylenol is not drugging her when my babys teeth are hurting it is the first thing i do. it take a while to kick in and it will most definatley help her sleep.
    Dusti3

Answer by Dusti3 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• it's not drugging her if she's in pain and needs it.
    i would suggest motrin, though because it's better for that sort of pain.
    Anonymous

• Good lord give her some pain relief! Damn woman!
    Anonymous

• OP

lol anon 6:11pm! Like I said, I know I'm being ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• Get some Hylands teething tabs, and nurse frequently; unlike Acetominophen (the active ingredient in tylenol), you will not be risking liver damage. Save the Acetominophen for when it is really needed, like a high fever.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2009