Would you support a change in ballots that would leave off the party affiliation?

It would be unconstitutional to remove freedom of association by outlawing political parties. I think a good compromise would be to leave off the 'R' or 'D', or any other initial next to the name. I feel that if you don't already know who you want, you shouldn't be voting. I think it would be a good thing to limit or hinder straight ticket voting, in order to move toward breaking the hold the two party system has on this country. Who agrees? Who disagrees? Why?

callmeann

Asked by callmeann at 4:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If people don't know who they want to vote for without the D or R they shouldn't be voting to begin with.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Hmmm. I like it! It would mean people would have to do some more research on the candidates.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Could be a good thing.I agree with brandy it could mean voters would have to truely do their homework before voting.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It's a good idea.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think it's a great idea. I'm an independent, and I always vote for who I think will screw me over the least (oh, wait, that should say whoever will do the job the best lol), never based on the letter out next to their name. I wish it was possible to get rid of the parties altogether, it seems to only make things worse. Both sides are too busy arguing over who is worse instead of trying to make things better. I know we can't get rid of them, but it is a nice thought.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Thanks to all of you. I have been floating this idea for a while now and sometimes I get negative responses. My college history prof thought it had merit. But of course, we know it will never happen.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 6:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Your thoughts are in the right place, but it just wouldn't work out that way. Even if you don't lable a candidate on the ballot, the media is still going to embrace the left and right, the democrats vs. the republicans. It would be just plain unconstitutional to outlaw parties, because it is our right to assemble peacefully. Parties are an integral part of that constituional right. It would be pointless, but none the less, a very interesting idea.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Washington state does a top two candidate primary system. The state elections take the top two people from one primary rather then each party running a primary. I think it actually keeps government pretty balanced. The most they get on the ballot info is so and so most closely identifies with such and such party.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 9:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i like it! then again im independent so i have to do my research before i vote anyways.

but i dont think it would matter, some ppl would still vote just to get the sticker (ie dont know anything about who or what they're voting for & dont care)
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Might sound good but it would never work. People are too stupid.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009