Does Crying it Out work?

I want to know how effective this method is before we try it. Does it work or is it just torture for everyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it works for some children.

In my case, I have 3 sons. It worked excellently with my first son. It worked alright with my second and not at all with my third.

Personality differences seemed to shift whether it worked or not. I tried with all of them multiple times but if it didnt work, it didnt work LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think it all depends on your child and their personality, temperament. It worked beautifully with my oldest. But with my second, forget it. My oldest is very laid back and easy going and not much of snuggler or anything. My second is the total opposite. He needs to see you and have connection most of the time. With him he falls asleep in seconds by just patting his back.
    Anonymous

• CIO has worked to get lots of kids to sleep through the night by themselves. It DOES work.

But I personally would not trade my childs happiness and well being for my sleep.

It is cruel, it's bad parenting, and under one year - it's a SIDS risk. yes that's right - it could KILL your child.

If a mother can justify it to herself, then she does NOT have her childs best interest at heart.
    Anonymous

• yes, eventually your child gives up on the idea of someone coming to comfort them and they just stop crying.
    Anonymous

• i think you should only do it if you absolutely have to do something eles like take a crap or get dinner on , or if you just absolutely have to have a 5 min break babies need to kno you are there for them and should never feel abandoned because your trying to teach them a lesson.
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 5:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I guess it depends on your definition of work. Do they go to sleep? Yeah, some do, and others will cry and scream and be in hysterics (when you can't catch your breath) for over an hour before they finally give up on the idea that someone is going to come comfort and soothe them. The verdict is still out on if CIO effects what kind of adult a child will become, but I personally will do whatever I can so that my children grow up as "normal" as possible. If we're talking about a child aroun the ages of 3 or 4, and it becomes obvious when they cry to manipulate then it's a different story. But for children under 2, ESPECIALLY under 1 yr, it's cruel and unusual punishment. For 9 months all that baby knew was his/her mother's voice, they can't communicate with anything other than crying, so to banish them to a crib to cry when all they want is for mommy to come hum to them and rock them - it really does break my heart.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 5:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think it's cruel to have a baby cry out for it's mama and the mommy ignore it. :*( Poor things.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• CIO only works because you are teaching your little baby that when he or she cries, you will not respond. What a sad thing for them to learn. Read "The No Cry Sleep Solution." If that doesn't work, try the long goodbye method (do a Google search). If those 2 do not work after giving each a minimum of 2 weeks, then you can try the Ferber method. But, you must read the book because there is a lot of misinformation on the internet about his method.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• CIO only works because you are teaching your little baby that when he or she cries, you will not respond.

*rolls eyes*

CIO is NOT leaving a child to cry and cry without responding. It is about responding to their needs without removing them from bed or disrupting the sleeping environment. CIO is very effective WHEN DONE CORRECTLY. Honestly, it takes a lot more dedication and willpower to do than simply responding to a crying baby every time. Please read up on the method before jumping into it. There are obviously a great deal of misinformed moms responding to this question if they are suggesting it is neglect or cruel. They apparently never took the time to really understand the method before judging.

rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• "If a mother can justify it to herself, then she does NOT have her childs best interest at heart."

And it appears rebabbeach fits into this category.

As for "it takes a lot more dedication and willpower to do than simply responding to a crying baby every time" --- yes, and it's wasted willpower and dedication.

Who in gods name is happy to be "dedicated" to listening to their child sob alone?
    Anonymous