Drinking dilemma! I am pretty sure this is the only question out there like this one....

I have a 1 year old ds. He is still on formula because we dont have his 1 year well visit for another weak so I dont have the ok from the doc yet. My issue is he is just learning the sippy cup and takes small sips, he will drink from a bottle but only 4 oz bottle. My issue is he is only drinking about 16 oz of formual a day and that is all the fluids he gets. Thats not enough right? I have tried very watered down juice in his bottle for him to drink more but we use Dr Browns bottles and the liquid just leaks and spills every where. Even with or without the tube inside. He wont take a different type of bottle either since he has been using this for a year. Any suggestions! 16oz of fluid a day no matter what it is cant be enough. He does eat 3 meals a day, table foods so he is getting nutrition so that is not mu concern. The concern is the fluid intake and how to get him to drink more? HELP!

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 4:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he's still having wet diapers, then it's not too big of a deal. If he's learning to use a sippy, just keep giving him water in them to sip. If he's not getting dehydrated and sick, and he's still making we diapers, then he should be fine, but definitely bring it up at his appointment.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 5:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If he can drink from the sippy cup get rid of the bottles now. There is no need for them. No, I didn't say get rid of the formula (although you can) but just put his formula in the sippy.

Formula is full of calories and is filling. Food is full of calories and filling. He's getting so many calories and "filling" stuff that he probably doesn't have much room for that much other liquid. He's also getting some liquid from his food, too.

He's not fussing from being thirsty, is he? Eyes still moist? Mouth still moist? Tears when he cries? He's fine.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I agree with pp. It's time to get rid of the bottles. He will get the sippy cup down sooner that way.
    If he is still having several wet diapers a day, then I wouldn't worry about the fluid intake.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Also, don't forget that food contains water - especially fruits and vegetables. Just because it's not in a cup/bottle doesn't mean he's not consuming liquid. So as long as you're feeding him fruits and vegetables, he IS getting more than 16oz of liquid each day.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My 10 year old probably only gets 16-20 oz of liquid/day (except if it is really hot or he has just played a sport) He has just never been much of a drinker. He eats tons of fruits/veggies and I think he must get what he needs from that. I stopped asking the doctor if he was OK with just that around 2 or 3 because they all said, he is healthy, just make sure you offer plenty of fluids when its hot or he has had a lot of exercise.
    Hope that helps.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• That is all my 17 mo DD has a day. She gets about 10-12 oz of skim milk then 4 oz juice w/ 4 oz water. She has plenty of wet diapers & is doing well. She is offered as much to drink as she wants/needs but only takes that much. Once u start to do milk I would only offer it in a sippie cup. Your DS will come around to it. My DD refused to drink juice or have solid foods until she was 14 mo old. I mean no rice ceral or anything I tried & tried & tried for so long. Finally once she hit 14 mo I said that is it enough is enough & had to tell her to either eat what I offered her or starve. I had to cut her formula (she had a milk allergy) in half & after a few days she decided to start eating foods. The point of this story is that if ur DS refuses for a bit on milk dont worry u may have to do what I did "starve or drink" but he'll come around (yes it is hard to say starve too) but it will all work out in the end :).
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think it's fine. When he us changed to whole mike they say a child should only get 16-24 oz/day so he is making the minimum. Try some different types of sippy cups if you haven't already. With my son (almost 11 months) he didn't under stand how to use one type of cup and does very well with a different kind.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Thanks guys! He doesnt seem to be showing any signs of dehydration at all. Wet diapers, watery eyes and drools like crazy! We are going to move to milk tomorrow because frankly I just ran through my last can of formula and its poitless to buy more and he is over 1 and has had no side effects to yogurt and cottage cheese so we will be alright. I am going to do all sippy tomorrow and see what happens. Right now he will take small sips from it but thats it. Maybe if he doesnt have an option he will drink more.
    TiccledBlue- that is exactly whayt my husband said to me tonight that he is probably all full because of eating food all day and the formula on top of it that he doesnt have much room to put liquids in there too!
    Thanks again! Wish me luck!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think that he is ok with that amount of milk- especially since its formula it has more nutrients than cow milk. Plus he's eating. What I would say is that you should really try to move him off bottles asap. By 18 months, their suck is so strong that it can cause health problems for them to still use the bottle (like ear infections among other things). My daughter loves her bottles, but we bought sippies that have the rubber tops or rubber flip straws and she is ok with those during the day. If he's thirsty enough, he will drink from the sippy- but leave the morning and night bottle until he can do the day ones well!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2009