Communion Question--Catholics Only Please!

I'm curious to know what Catholic moms think of this situation in the article:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0304communion0304.html

-The reason I ask is that my little boy is not autistic, but he has a feeding disorder similar to the boy in this article, and even though we are working on it and it is slightly getting better, I don't know if or when he will come to a time where he'd be able to take communion because of his sensory issues with food and that saddens me. We are not Catholic. We are Protestant. So I know that our beliefs are different in that we don't think that communion is a necessity..., but I wonder with a situation like this, would Catholics think the same way or would they think this boy wouldn't be going to Heaven?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anonymous - My son is on a Pediasure-only diet. He cannot handle ANY solid foods, so when I saw that article it saddened me. I guess I could manage to force a crumb in, but it would still be a struggle. I guess I just wondered how important that sacrament would really be to a Catholic.

I do understand.  I was on Ensure and other liquids for several months - before that it was over a year that I struggled to keep solid foods down.  As I pointed out the wine would be available and the Spiritual Communion.  Holy Communion is an extremely important sacrament for Catholics - which is why we take it so seriously.  But certainly someone who is not able to physically receive communion will not be denied grace from God or heaven.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't see why they can't use something else. How about real bread if he can eat it? Yes he will go to heaven if he has been living his life accordingly.

Anonymous

• My son is on a Pediasure-only diet. He cannot handle ANY solid foods, so when I saw that article it saddened me. I guess I could manage to force a crumb in, but it would still be a struggle. I guess I just wondered how important that sacrament would really be to a Catholic.
    Anonymous

• The church is working with the family:
    "Matthew deserves to be able to take the Eucharist fully and completely," said Isabella Rice of the diocese Office on Disabilities and Pastoral Care. "As long as he is unable to do so, we will keep working with him."
    Anonymous

• I know, I know. I just think it's sad, that's all. I guess you just have to experience having a child who won't eat solid foods for years and years to see how reading something like that can hurt. I KNOW God loves him.
    Anonymous

I wouldn't mind having a symbol or even an unconcetrated host, but it will not be communion. Commuion is the real presence ("This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me. ... ) Right now the father is taking the host out of his son's mouth. I do have a problem with that. Other Catholics may not.

livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 6:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My son is on a Pediasure-only diet. He cannot handle ANY solid foods, so when I saw that article it saddened me. I guess I could manage to force a crumb in, but it would still be a struggle. He wouldn't be able to take the Body and Blood. NPO patents are not allowed to have communion before surgery. I guess I just wondered how important that sacrament would really be to a Catholic It is a very important sacrament IMO, but those who do not receive the Body and Blood are not going to hell and I am guessing God will understand.

Look at it this way, if a person was comatose would you force a piece of bread down them? Would you put the bread on their tongue and then consume it? How much of the bread are they consuming? I hope there are a few other Catholics able to explain this better but for now I hope this gives you a little bit of answers.

livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 6:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

I understand you can be hurt by this. Your son won't eat solid foods, would you force a piece of bread in his mouth he can't eat? I don't see why he cannot share in the Blood of Christ though. I might be wrong on this. Again, a Catholic with more knowledge of this might give better answers. These are really just my opinions

livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 6:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• What a struggle for this family! I have a rare medical condition that made it very difficult for me to swallow solid foods and keep them down. I was unable to receive the Consecrated Hosts for months until I had some surgery to help a bit. I was able to receive wine and accommodations were made for me. The Catholic belief is not that the Host is the Body of Christ and the Consecrated Wine is the Blood of Christ - the Host is both the Body and Blood of Christ, the wine is both the Body and Blood of Christ. To receive one is to receive both. But it's so unfortunate this child has trouble receiving either.

Holy Communion is more than a symbol it is the Body and Blood of Christ and sacred. I would hope that the church would continue to work with the family in order to help the child eventually receive Communion - even if it takes a while. This is a highly unique situation and I'm sure a solution can be found.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• There is also the idea of a Spiritual Communion - that if the person is not able to physically receive the Body and Blood of Christ they can make a Spiritual Communion in which we express our faith in Christ and in His Presence in the Eucharist, and we ask Him to unite Himself with us. Around the time I had surgery (before and after) I had to do this too. I actually found it quite personally moving.

We take so much for granted here in the US. There are countries in the world where some Catholics receive Holy Communion maybe once in their lives. It's easy for us to think we have a right to things and forget how privledged we are. This child's story should remind Catholics how privledged they are to be able to receive the Body and Blood of Christ as often as they do.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2009