Is it true that concieving while breastfeeding increases the chances of twins??

is that true?? I've read it a few times but I've never seen any real statistics and such.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• "Dr. Steinman found that women who become pregnant while breastfeeding are nine times more likely to conceive twins than women who are not breastfeeding at the time of conception."
    http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/chance-of-having-twins-can-be-modified-by-diet-10638.html

Wow, some studies have shown that breastfeeding while ttc can increase the odds of twins. That's kind of scary to me as dh and I are ttc and I am breastfeeding!
    Anonymous

• Of course..and having sex while standing up increases the chance for boys!! LOL
    Anonymous

• I never heard this before and nursed part way through my pregnancy with #2. I have a friend who has 6 kids and tandem nursed (at one point 3 were nursing) so she obviously was nursing while trying to conceive the last 5 and not one twin in her brood! 2-3 generations ago they didn't have formula and nursed through the next pregnancy and I don't think there are anymore twins then than now if you take out those caused by fertility drugs now a days.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:56 AM on Jun. 14, 2009