Has your child ever fallen off the charts...as in the weight height graphing they use at the doctors office and/or WIC office?

My baby weighed 17lbs 4 oz in early march and now weighs 17 lbs 10 oz. She only grew 1/4 of a centimeter. She is one.

MyMikaela

Asked by MyMikaela at 5:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep in mind I have 3 kids, 2 never did this, but my son Robby is speical needs, and his head circumfrence did fall of the charts. That was one of the first clues that something was not right. So if this has happened, definately have it looked into...it could be a simple issue, nothing at all, or worst case scenario a clue to a bigger problem.
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 5:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• First....do NOT worry if it was the WIC office. They do stuff wrong half the time anyway. (telling me my son who was in the 99th percentile for height and 95th percentile for weight was "underweight"...BULL...and the doctor just laughed)

If it was at the doctor's office, then what did the doctor say? Were any concerns voiced? There is expected to be a certain amount of slowing down when they hit about one, so keep that in mind.

In three months, she grew! It wasn't much...but she did grow!

You should speak to your pediatrician about your concerns.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yup...dd is 18 months, 20 lbs and 27 inches tall.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• omg wic told me that my son was over weight for being 2.. hello my son is 2.5 and is 3'2 feet tall.. and weighs 42 lbs and the doc was like nope he's fine! sooo ..if it was wic.. dont even listen to them
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Your child is not a graph :) That said, if yo know they are eating well and ahre happy, don't be too concerned. Between 12 -18 months my daughter gained zero weight, but I was not in the least bit concerned cause she is helathy and happy.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I agree with Arkaidy. My DD is 2.5, 19lbs, and 30 inches. She eats healthy and very active, alert, ahead of the group, and happy.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My daughter hasn't been on the charts since she was born. She is 28 months and weighs 22 pounds. She eats and has way to much energy so I don't worry about it. Look on the bright side, she'll fit into her clothes longer and she won't move up on diaper sizes.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• WIC said the same thing about Tater, I quit going...I was told by them that if she didn't gain weight by her next visit in 2 months that they would be calling CPS. Tater is now 2.5 yrs. She weighs 22.5 lbs and is just 30 in. As long as your ped. says everything is good, thats all you need to worry about.
    TatersMom2006

Answer by TatersMom2006 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My son's plotting increased by 30% when he went from a formula chart--which WIC used to the WHO breastfed charts my Dr. and myself used. Make sure they are comparing your child to children in the same category.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Make sure they are looking at the right chart (formula or breastfeeding) and take a look at where they were born. My son was born at 5% for weight and our doctor wanted him to saty within plus or minus 10% so negative 5% to 15% which he did. He fell to about negative 3% at one point,but the doc wasn't concerned.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2009