what is the oldest age you have seen child being breast-fed?

MissLisa7657

Asked by MissLisa7657 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ive heard of them being fed over the age of 2 which is pretty disgusting to me. They are weaned off the bottle by one so why are you still breastfeeding them.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 5:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My mother runs an Aware Parenting group - most of the mother there nurse until 2-4 years of age. So probably 4.
    I think it's a marvelous sight to see. :)

I still breastfeed my 20 month old, and will continue for as long as she wants.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I saw a story on the news a few years back about a lady who has like 3 kids all from I think about 5-8 still breastfeeding.. that is just creepy!!!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• How old have I personally seen? About 2.5 years. It was strange the first time I saw it - just like anything is the first time you see it. It was in absolutely no way "disgusting," though.

And they're weaned off a bottle at one for their teeth. There's no good reason to wean from the breast at 1. *shrug*
    Philosowife

Answer by Philosowife at 5:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Oh and she had to go to the children's elementary school during the day to feed them! In a private area of course......
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think its disgusting and parents should find some other way of bonding with their children. Is it to benefit the child or the mother?
    Anonymous

• Oh well. *sigh*

I suppose you have to expect some very sad mothers to come along and call something so natural and healthy "disgusting" or "weird" or "wrong".
    It's to be expected.
    Anonymous

• A friend of mine was still nursing her son at age 5. No problem here. He is now a very healthy teenager.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• The oldest I have ever seen is my own. She's 21 months and still happily breastfed. :) I would love to see more breastfeeding babes and moms over 12 months. It takes more inundation in the public eye to make something normal and accepted.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think the child was about two months old.. I think that if the child is still nursing at 3 and older it's more for the mom. How would people look at a mom who was feeding her child formula at 3 and 4 yrs old?? If I were to personally breastfeed I would stop no later then 12 months. I don't think it's gross but breast feeding a 5 yr old that to me is on the boarder of sexual abuse.. After a year old the child can get all the nutrients from regular food..

Anonymous