• In the Spotlight:

Will you teach your boys chivalry?

I was reading an article on parents no longer teaching this art in manners. I love that my DH always holds the door for a lady ( or anyone ). He never lets me open the car door, even if I'm driving. I think its sweet that he still does this.

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 5:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I will. I think its sweet for a man to hold open a door or pull out a chair for a woman. I teach my boys to do things like that for their sister so that way it sticks with them when they get older
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yes, My older nephwes have been taught this and its soo nice. I will teach my boy this.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Already doing it. But at age appropriate levels.

My ex-sil started doing it with her one son (6 girls, one boy) but she went MAJORLY overboard with it. She made all the girls stand there and wait for him to open the door (for example), no matter what door it was. He had to pull their chairs out at the dinner table, too.

He was 4 at the time.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Just the basics. please, thank you, holding the door for the next person and in general being polite. I hate to say it, but these days most women just don't deserve chivalry.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 6:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• He has been taught manners from a young age and he uses them for the most part. He does forget sometimes but he does really good for a 13 year old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I will, but I will also teach them that it is a polite thing, but not a requirement. Some women will take advantage of a man being chivalrous, and start expecting him to do everything and anything, no matter what, and I won't have my sons being taken advantage of. I also, though, go out of my way to show appreciation when they or another man does something like that. If a man holds a door for me at the store, I make sure my sons hear me thank him. I've also shown them that men are not the only ones that can/should do it. I'll hold a door for someone if they are right behind me or if it is an elderly or handicapped person that I can tell would appreciate it. I want my sons to be polite and respectful, but I also don't want them being abused for it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• But MythicMMM... showing chivalry doesn't have anything to do with deserving it.... chivalry reveals the character of the man. And what woman would stand there and be a b**ch to a man holding the door and saying "After you, beautiful".

To the OP... I will be teaching my son to be chivalrous. I think it shows him how to be an honorable man, and lets face it, it reflects positively on how he was raised. ;)

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 6:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Absolutely.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I have 3 sons, and yes I am teaching them to be polite and have manners.
    DawnPratt23

Answer by DawnPratt23 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I agree that chivalry reveals the character of the man and is not a reflection on how the woman treats him. If he respects her enough to open doors for her and the like, and she just insults him by not caring or appreciating it, he shouldn't be with her. I think it's romantic and respectful for a man to open the door for a lady. The chair thing can be a bit annoying, though. There are some things I prefer to do on my own.

So I guess my answer would be yes, to certain things. I do want my son to be able to demonstrate respect towards all women, not just those he wants to impress.
    clairandamjones

Answer by clairandamjones at 6:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2009