nasal aspiraters... my babies sworn nemisis.....

my baby is sick with a really runny nose! we have the saline and aspirater but it is an impossible feat. my son is only 6 months old so i am afraid of being forceful and hurting him trying to get it to his nostril. and hes REALLY strong so my hubby and i actually receive quite the beating in the process. we even tried while he was asleep but he KNEW and moved his head!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heLp!!! any tips? i really need to aspirate!!! and hurry cos hes about to wake up!! lol

BillyKraftsMom

Asked by BillyKraftsMom at 6:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most babies hate it and will fight you, I hope some other moms have something better for you.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Get one of the Graco NasalClear Battery operated nasal aspirators. They take about 20 seconds per nostril and are much easier. I got mine for $20 from Babies R Us and it has been a life saver!!!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You just have to do it! Hold him down on the changing table by using your arms to hold down his hands and your hands to hold his head still and the aspirator.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 7:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Sit in a bathroom with the shower running on HOT for 15min. It will help break up the congestion and make it easier to snuck. (our work for 'suck snot')
    KadynsMommy806

Answer by KadynsMommy806 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• When my son was about the same age as yours my husband was in Iraq so I had to get a little creative when it came to sucking out the snot. I would lay him on the floor and would use my legs to pin him down. I know that sounds mean, but the boy needed to breath. Good luck.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i know it's bad... my dd was the same way!!! i'd actually put her between my knees and quickly do it then pick her up and let her know I love her and that she felt better! It was HORRIBLE but that was the ONLY way i could clear her out. It gets better!!! Around 9 mos she was able to hold still so we could wipe her nose and now she wipes and blows it herself!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• This is going to sound odd.....
    I would swaddle him up with a big blanket nice and tight, lay him on the floor and stradle him (careful not to squish him, it's just to keep him from rolling away) then hold his head still with one hand and aspirate with the other. He'll hate every minute of it but hopefully you can get it done without hurting him.
    Or if it's a 2 man job... swaddle again and have the other person hold him like you are going to rock him... have them hold his head still by wrapping their arm around the back of his head and hold his forehead while their other arm holds them but secures across the shoulders so he doesn't get his arms out... then the other one quickly gets the job done.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yes, baby's worst enemy for sure. :) My kids hate that stupid thing. Thankfully they rarely needed it, but when they do, you do have to just hold them down and do it. It is hard, but it's the only way at times.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 7:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• The Red Cross one at Target has a ridge so it can only be inserted so far, no danger of hurtint the baby then.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i held vicks rub under my little ones nose until we got some for babies,then i rubed it under her nose
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009