What advice do you wish you would have gotten as a first time mom?

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh I got the best advice I ever got from my mom;

Breastfeed.
    Co-sleep.
    Use slings and carriers instead of strollers.

Best advice I ever got.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• That you no longer could go poop alone no matter how old your child is. Also after your child does come out in the world you will always have to pee no matter if you have a baby sitting on your bladder or not. But It's worth every single moment : )
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Do your best, don't worry about what other moms are doing too much. Try not to compare yourself, you'll know if you're doing all you can for your child and no one else should judge too harshly.

Same goes for when you see another mother doing something differently than you, remind yourself that everyone is different (mothers and their babies) and you really have no right to say your way is better.
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I wish someone had told me that there was no right way to do everything. I had such ideals & I was so stubborn. I know I missed a lot & when I look back now (my oldest is almost 15), I think how stupid it was.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• relax. you WILL make mistakes, so accept the things that go wrong and learn from them.
    co sleeping and breastfeeding are BY FAR the easiest ways to A) get sleep yourself and B) lessen workload on yourself-no bottles to prepare, wash and sterilize.
    even the hardest days are special, because you will never get them back, so treasure every moment.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 6:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Since I didn't get any advice from anyone, I got all the advice I wanted from reading. So I can't really say there's any advice I wish I had gotten - If I wanted advice, I researched it and got it.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Do your own research (don't blindly rust what anyone tells you, including the Dr) BUT also trust your motherly insticts! They are there for a reason! If it feels wrong to let your baby cry, then pick them up. If you want to rock your baby to sleep and cuddle them while they sleep, then go ahead. If it feels right, then it usually is right.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Don't freak out over the little things. babies are themselves, and sometimes even you cannot consul them.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Take what you read in public parenting forums with a grain of salt...I've seen lots of incorrect and/or biased advice and information in my twelve months as a mother. Medical advice should come from a medical professional. Lactation advice should come from a certified lactation consultant. Ok, there is some good advice on cafemom about increasing milk supply and all that, I will say that. But, some of the advice can be dangerous, not knowing the mother's specific child and the mother's specific medical history.

I wish someone had told me not to get so hung up on schedules, but to focus more on a consistent routine.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It is ok to make mistakes, make up your own mind. Don't feel bad for the decisions you make even if it is different from what someone else thinks is the only way to do something. There is more than one way to do things. Every child is different and not everything works for every child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009