when to go to the dentist? 17 month old.

I can only get him to brush his teeth on certain days when HE decides he wants to. I've noticed the bottoms on his two top teeth are whiter the the rest...is this low enamel? When should I take him to the dentist

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• talk to your doc. they recommend their first visit at 1 but they dont do anything.. i took mine.. and they looked at his teeth and didnt even do anything basically.. but i took him last week and they said he was fine, but really talk to the ped. and he'll be able to tell you! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My ped said age 2 so thats what I did. I agree, ask you ped.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• ask ur pedi but my son has been going since he was 7 months for check ups
    Anonymous

• Talk to your dentist.
    Some say with the first tooth, some say at 1, some 2, some 3 - unless you think there is a problem then you go then.
    Mine says 3.

As for brushing... he's 17 months, not 17 years. Don't give him a choice. Pin him down, gently pinch his nose so he has no choice but to open his mouth, and brush those teeth. This is a health issue. It is not the same as forcing a screaming child into a shirt he hates. Get help if neeeded but brush those teeth. He should not have a choice over this any more than he has the choice to play in the street.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My dentist said 3 years of age so, they will be going this year. They are pretty good at brushing their teeth to the point they are constantly in the bathroom trying to brush their own.
    conchita07

Answer by conchita07 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My dentist told me 3 years but I can him in bring to watch my cleaning at 2 1/2 years, so he gets used to the sounds and sites
    jen4roses

Answer by jen4roses at 11:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009