Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need clarification on what Public Assistance is...

OK, I admit, I must live a very sheltered life because after reading tons of these questions, I have to admit I have no idea how PA works. I know unemployment benefits run out after a fix amount of time, but is the same not true of food stamps, section 8 and assistance payments? Do you not need to be actively looking for work to receive the above? Is there no time limit? Can you be on that type of PA for life if you never look for a job or go to school? For the sake of this question, lets leave unemployment of out it (since I get how that works) I am not bashing here, just trying to get some clarification.


Asked by teampalmer4 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Cash assistances has a limit of 5 years for lifetime. Foodstamps do not have a limit and neither does medicaid or housing. There are reviews anywhere from 3-6 months. For cash assistance, you have to be actively looking for work or in workshops to get you job ready. If you don't attend the workshops or look for jobs for the number of hours assigned, they subtract those hours from your cash benefits. If you don't show up at workshops without good cause, you can be sanctioned and lose all benefits from anywhere from 6 months to life. This follows you from state to state. PA is a federally program that is ran by each county/state. If you lie on an app, etc you can lose benefits for life. Food stamps are set by the federal government.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • i dont think food stamps run out unless u make to much money, and unemployment u have to submit papers showing u r looking for work to get a check

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • How to Apply for Public Assistance |

    Apply for public assistance funds at your local public assistance office. Check the phone book for locations and make sure to bring the ...

    Answer by vbruno at 7:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • vbruno

    Answer by vbruno at 7:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • You have periodic reviews.

    Answer by EireLass at 7:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • Each state has their own set of regulations and allowances so you can do a search under the social services section for your state to find out the information you need.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009