Is this stealing?

So, I was at Wal Mart earlier today doing a bit of grocery shopping when I noticed a toddler in a cart was holding some bananas his mother had picked. He was eyeballing them pretty hard and I believe he must have said something because I overheard the mom say, "Do you want a banana?" She peels the banana right there in Wal Mart and hands it to her son! I feel like that is stealing because now that banana is not going to be weighed, thereby making it "free." Would you have said something to the mother?

jkt747

Asked by jkt747 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't have said anything but it might be consodered stealing.. I doubt anyone would say anything or think about it too much
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't think saying anything would have done any good. But yes it is stealing. The only time I will open something and give to the kids is if it is packaged, like cookies or something like that.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I used to be a cashier at a grocery store and anytime sombody came through with an eaten banana we would weigh the bunch and then take off the biggest one on the bunch and weigh it by itself. That's what our manager had us do. He figured if they couldn't pay for it first then they would be charged for the biggest one in the bunch twice.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• No, because you don't know how that mother is at the check-out. If she's like me, she'd tell them to add $1 on to the produce.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I consider it stealing. I've taught my children that when we go grocery shopping, they need to wait until AFTER we check out, before they can eat anything we are buying. It's so much easier when they don't know there are any other options! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I'm with LoirKeet: we can't eat what's not ours. It makes life so much easier.
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 7:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I always make sure I pay for things first before I give anything to my kids, it is stealing, and would not want to teach that to them, is the same as sneaking something out of those bulk bins.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't let my kids eat produce from the store because they can't weigh what was eaten. On occasion I will get my son some chicken fingers or jojos. They weigh them then put in a bag with the weight and price on it. I just hand them the empty bag for them to scan.

To answer your question, no I wouldn't have said anything because we don't know what they are going to do at the checkout but if she didn't pay for it, it would be stealing.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• No, I'd mind my own business.
    Anonymous

• No, why would I say anything? That's how people get their asses whipped-not minding their own business. How do you know the mother didn't tell the cashier about the banana? You're making assumptions.
    Anonymous