Christians, which came first for you?

Did reading the Bible lead to your conversion, or did you accept Jesus first - at Church, in prayer, from reading another book, whatever - and then read the Bible (or at least feel you *understood* it for the first time after your conversion, even if you'd read it before)?

Obviously - this question doesn't apply to lifelong Christians who do not have a conversion testimony.

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 7:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Conversion then understanding. I knew the Bible stories but that's all they were to me nice stories.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I read the Bible many times before I was saved.
    Anonymous

• I always was in church but i really never was 100% with God untill about 3 yrs ago but i read the bible but it went in one ear and out the other untill God was like Crissy its time to go come to me and i knew his voice... But i read the bible many times before i was saved.. Great question..
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I have yet to read the Bible. Jesus spoke to me and I knew the path. Faith has no guide book.
    Anonymous

• I grew up in church, but we didn't really read the Bible. After I received Christ as my savior, I started reading and understanding the Bible.
    ledesa

Answer by ledesa at 8:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• The short testimony---
    After leaving the JWs, I decided that God didn't exist. I felt empty for a long time. I studied other religions--Buddhism, Wicca, Krishnah, Hinduism, Taoism,... I spent a lot of time doing what a lot of angry former Christians do on here-- studied the Bible (KJV) in order to use it against believers. I was convicted of the Bible's truth after an evangelistic meeting at my Dad's church. I didn't follow it for a long time, but I was convicted. I was baptized the first time with no relationship to Jesus, but lots of knowledge. :) I left, played on the devil's playground for a while, suffered a lot of knocks, and an addiction to alcohol. One day I was sweeping the floor in my room and that still small voice whispered into my ear that I didn't have to make myself good enough for Him, that I should come to Him and He'd do the washing. Today I'm clean and committed to being about my Father's business.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I was just sent this GREAT dvd called the case for Christ. It's about this man trying to prove JEsus didn't exist and the Bible and ends up being converted. As far as me personally. I grew up in the church. I hated it thought it was too dumb besides the fact that I felt I was destined to ehll since I was 5. I felt there was no hope for me. I feel better about my salvation I feel it is a reality. I was wiccan for a few years and then went nothing. Not atheist but just believed in God and lived my life to best make me happy. I NEVER doubted Godss existence there's just too much evidence proving him! So about 2 months ago I sterted getting seriouse. Itstarted with this whole planet X or Nebaru stuff and 2012 end times w/e. The mayan calendar and I just can't help but feel that the end is NEAR. So if I;m gonna save my soul I can't procrastinate any longer I gotta get crackin lol.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 9:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I was raised Christian, rebelled in my youth, was agnostic, then practiced Wicca for several years. In my mid to late twenties I searched my soul, questioned things in my mind and remained agnostic until I began to see the overwhelming change that Christ brings. I was Baptised in my early 30's but was born again several years later. When I was Baptized I didn't realize that being Christian required a relationship with God, not just faith and belief, and when I realized that, that's the born again part.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I did not realize that a relationship with God was part of the deal by someone telling me. I reailized it by truly realizing a need in my life, being broken, and calling out to God in desperate prayer. God revealed Himself to me in a very real way and I have never been the same.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I was raised in a Christian home. I always knew about God and prayed but didnt read the bible on my own or have a relationship with him until I went to Christian camp one summer when I was 16. Now I do God came to me in his own way and time!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2009