Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Protective Services

My step son has been living with us for 3 months now because his mom is a total deadbeat and there was suspected child abuse. I got a letter in the mail yesterday from CPS saying that the case against her has been indicated, which means that there has been evidence founded that he has been abused. Does anyone know what happens after there is a finding? We want to completely strip her of any kind of rights and we want to obtain an order of Protection. it's a long story but when he lived with her he told his teachers he wante dto kill himself, his psychiatrist here found him to have red flags of sexual abuse, he was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, and she has committed Identity Theft against him that we are in the process of trying to prosecute.


Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • well, you'll have to file for termination of her parental rights. AND you'll have to prove that she is an unfit parent in order to remove those parental rights. Also, in the state of California (you didnt say what state you are in) in order for the moms parental rights to be terminated there has to be a woman ready to adopt him (that would be you). Sounds like you've got an easy case. But it will still take 6 months to a year or longer if she really battles it out. Have you spoke to a lawyer? You'll have to get all the evidance against her you can find. CPS statements, psychiatrist statements, teacher statements, ect ect. pictures. If you ever have any contact with the BM right down anything that happens that might help you in any way. GL
    We live in California and will soon be filing for termination of my DH's sons BM's parental rights. lol

    Answer by outstandingLove at 7:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • How old is he?

    Answer by staceynoel at 7:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • It would help to know which state you live in, but here in Texas, they do everything they can to keep the family together if at all possible unless the circumstances are really bad. Since abuse has been indicated here, they will probably force her into parenting classes. Ordinarily the child would probably go into foster care at this point, but since he's living with you and your husband, this will probably be unnecessary. You will also be investigated to make sure the same things will not happen in your home, but that's not a problem if there's nothing to hide.

    You could very well get your wish about prosecution and parental rights termination. I wish you the best of luck, but be prepared for trouble with your ss. That type of abuse always leaves mental pain, and that's never easy to endure or take care of.

    Answer by rhope4 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • My step son is only 4 yrs old and was telling his teachers that he wanted to kill himself and he was scratching his face intentionally. He has been living with us since that day. We were in New York but have since moved to Massachusetts, but the case will still be in the Bronx. The CPS worker suggested that we try and get an order of protection to keep her away while we try to get full custody. But I just wanted to know if anyone knows what CPS does now that there has been a finding of abuse?
    Good luck outstandingLove

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • I know in Georgia it's very hard to strip a parent(s) of their rights. You have to prove them completely unfit. And there's always a chance that they can petition the courts later for their rights back and it's considered, because of all the help that is out their for Underage, unfit, etc, parents. My best advice is to advise in court that she gets help for everything CPS says shes failing at and that way if she doesn't, or she fails in trying, you guys have one more leg to sand on with the courts. But no matter what happens and how frustrated you get remember that the courts always have the childs best interest in mind.
    Has he been appointed a Gaurdian Adlitem? If not he probably will. This is someone who speaks for the child in court.

    Answer by honeychick772 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • Legal matters, especially ones as serious as this, should never be researched on a message board. You REALLY need to speak to a lawyer. Even if a member here is a lawyer, they cannot give you legal advice or they could be disbarred.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • You need to contact an attorney in New York and Mass. to find out what you need to be doing. Every state and every siutation is different. No one on this site can give you accurate information, only an attorney licensed in one of those states can give you accurate information. I wish you all the best and hope your stepchild is ok. He needs lots of love and patience.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • I am not asking for legal advice. I am asking if anyone knows what CPS does once they have a finding?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • Hmmm I am not sure, but I think CPS would have to report it to some authority (maybe the courts- if there is a current case going on the issue?) I really think you should call CPS and ask them. If you don't want to do that then I would definately ask your lawyer if they know what CPS will do with their findings.

    Answer by MizLee at 4:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • cps tells watever they find to police and da. then they (police and da) go from there. just keep records of everything that you have found out for teachers and others ur son has talked to. Good luck

    Answer by Keithsmama24 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 15, 2009