what do you do when your baby is teething and you still breast-feeding and they bite you

My daughter is teething and i am still breast-feeding and she bite my breast and it bleed a little and i wanted to avoid her biting me again. I told her no biting.. she is 8 months. And i know if i start pumping again i will full up again and i am already cut down to one bfeed a day. and formula and solids rest of the time.
I may stop bfeeding by end of the year.
she is teething and i know she itching and stuff. So It be great if some can help me out with out stopping bfeeding until up to year.
I feel bad already about it and she had her formula when she bite me

Asked by mommytobe24 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yelp! And pull the baby's head in toward the breast--when their nose is covered they'll open their mouth to breathe and delatch. Then put the baby down for a few minutes. If they are still hungry you can resume the feeding a few minutes later. Mine learned pretty quick that biting=done eating! In my experience, though, usually when they are biting they are not really hungry anymore, just "playing"--and I'm sure that's not a game you want to participate in!

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 5:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My little guy was biting too but we got through it. I had been doing the stern no and placing him on the floor than walking away. I thought I was doing it the right way but I wasn't, he keep biting. In tears I called my mom (who nursed 6 kids) she said I needed to do it differently. She said to make sure to do the no walk away thing EVERY time he bites. I sometimes didn't if he was almost asleep. And don't let the baby see your face when you say no and walk away. Your baby is looking at you for reassurance and to see if they can get away with what they did. After the walk away give it a little time then go back and make up. You can even try nursing again. But if baby bites again that's it for that feeding. My little guy had to learn to fall asleep with rocking not nursing. My mom said it would all be better in a couple sessions. He actually took 2 days. But we did it! Good luck to any moms with the "biting problem".

Answer by Lynette at 6:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Well my youngest son only bit me once when I was nursing him and I screamed so loud cuz it hurt and it scared him so much that he was screaming and crying and he never did it again!!! I was lucky though. However, I've heard that you should pinch them when they bite you, it feels like a bite to them and they never do it again. I don't know, like I said, after he bit me the one time my screaming scared the daylights out of him and he never did it again. Maybe you should try screaming!! LOL!!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Take the baby off of the breast as soon as they bite. They will soon understand that biting ends a feeding and it should stop.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Another way is to put your finger in their cheek to pop them off the breast and say no. I've also heard that tapping their head and saying no will stop it. Do it on the forehead hard enough to shock them but not hurt them and firmly say no. It's worked for a couple of friends of mine.

Answer by jackimci at 3:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2008