Will I get over this?

Is it weird that I'm not that okay with leaving my baby with people yet?? Even my in-laws. I mean I know I need to and I trust them but I'm around her 24/7 and for some reason dread it when they ask if they can keep her for a while. Why is this? I know she needs interaction with other people, not just me and her Dad. And after all it's family. Why do I have such a problem thinking about leaving her for an hour or two?? Will I get over this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know exactly what you mean, my DD is almost 10 months old now and it is hard for me to leave her. The best advice I can give is to spend time with the people you plan on leaving her with. Bring her to their house (or have them come to you) and spend a few hours with all of you together, watch them interact with her. Do that a couple hours at a time, as long as it takes for you to be comfortable with how they take care of her. It will make it easier when you eventually decide to drop her off instead of stay, and you will know what to expect (and they will learn your "ways" of taking care of DD,another plus). Thats how I felt comfortable with leaving my DD, although I still have only "left" her with my mom or my MIL. I know it sounds crazy, but I was worried about leaving her with my own mom or my husbands mom - they know what they are doing, they are both great moms. But it just isn't *ME*, know what I mean? Lol. Good luck :)
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 1:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think the only way to get over it is just to do it. That's how I was but once I left him for a little while, I realized it was not that bad.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 8:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It's a natural reaction. Especially with your first. Though I still get a little nervous when I send my girls to spend time with family, but I do it. And I do my best to enjoy it too. Over time it does get easier.

Now, even though I get nervous, I look forward to it. It also helped a lot once I had two. I was fairly desperate for time away from the kids at that point. :)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 8:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yes you will. You are still in pregnancy mode- by this I mean that you still feel that the baby is part of you, and of course you don't want to leave a piece of yourself with anyone. In time you'll feel more that the baby is her own person, and it won't be so hard to leave her, especially after the first few times. You'll still think about her all the time, but you'll be able to leave her with loved ones without feeling lost.

Answer by Bmat at 8:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It's a natural reaction with any baby! I would disagree that it is just your first, because I have it to a certain degree with my second! :) Make a plan, stick to the plan. I think that is the best advise I could give you. Every time will get easier and easier, and your baby will benefit also, different interaction with a different person will help grow her brain (think FRESH, maybe a new game, new face, new voice) It will be okay mama! First rule of mommyhood, get over the guilt! :) You still have their teenage years ahead! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My in-laws take great care of my 7 month old when they have her and she has even spent the night. But, I still check on her and hubby will text his parents to see how she is.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I am exactly the same as you but i now accept that i am not comfy leaving her,,, so i dont. When Im ready I will until then people can visit. She doesnt need time away fro me at moment she is tpp little
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009