How do you explain past life memories?

Ok, I know alot of people don't believe in reincarnation. And even some people who believe in reincarnation don't believe we can remeber any of our past lives. So, how do you explain the hundreds of people who have memories of past lives? Are they just making it up or is it a kind of power of suggestion kinda thing?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• acid trip
    Anonymous

• that was kind of rude anon..

op-I watched a tv special on this once. .. very interesting stuff...I wish I could remember the name of it so I could post you a link..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think I know what you are talking about.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailycourier/news/s_189477.html

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I love that story, pnwmom. See, how can people just explain away that kind of thing? I don't get it? I'm not saying they are wrong, I am just saying I don't agree.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Well I have heard of this past memories in children and among adults. Ths is the second story I have heard officially printed, the first one I saw was on t.v. From my viewpoint NOW I believe it's a demon who is trying to get people to stray from God by not believing in him. I mean if reincarnation is real there is no God why need to believe and duh the proof is in front of us. BUT I am going t oresearch this for myself. Agian this is from my POV now, let me research this cause tthis stuff fascintates me. Just like how I used to be able t osee spirits and sense things and know things. From when I was very little I would know things. A phsycic ability if you will. So as far as past lives I'm going t odo some research on this.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 9:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I question whether they really are memories of past lives or people believing what they want to believe. So they'll fit experiences into the preconceived belief in reincarnation. Hypnosis is an unreliable source for information so past life regression it makes a person susciptiable to suggestion.

I tend to agree with Nicholas Spanos who studied this in the 1990 and concluded that past lives are not memories, but actually social constructions based on patients acting "as if" they were someone else, but with significant flaws that would not be expected of actual memories. To create these memories, Spanos' subjects drew upon the expectations established by authority figures and information outside of the experiment such as television, novels, life experiences and their own desires.
    Anonymous

• According to my mom when I was about 3 I gave her detailed information about things that I had no knowledge or experience of...she truly believes it was past life memories.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• um...proof of reincarnation
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think that perhaps our souls are like water from an ocean of spirit. After our death, that water goes back into the ocean, and mingles with the other spirit. So the dipperful of spirit that goes into the next life can and probably does contain "spirit particles" from several different lives. And the particles from one past life can enter into several different people.

And perhaps they recognize each other, somehow, from the previous shared life - vibrate on the same frequency, leading us to one another, or causing us to be drawn to certain people, because part of their spirit and part of our spirit were once one life. When someone has past life memories of one or more life streams, it can be because their soul contains "particles" from those lives, even though they aren't exactly that person just in a new body. Does that make sense?

I know that reincarnation is what makes sense to me; how it actually works, I don't know!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I remember some of my past lives because I lived them. We all carry a kind of cell memory of specific events in our past lives like deaths (a drowning victim will carry a fear of water that has no reason in their present lives) or a love of children (some women want many children because of pleasant memories of a previous life with a large brood around her) or an interest in a certain time period or country where they once lived (I love Great Britain and especially Ireland because of a life there). I am a witch because I was in at least three past lives and it feels right to me.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009