Do you find it wrong to have a baby at 18?

I am just curious to see what people answer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I don't know that I would say wrong, exactly. I know when I was 18, I was not ready to have a baby. I was always considered to be very mature for my age, so I am not sure that anyone is ready to have a baby at 18. I think it is a tough choice, and I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't think it is wrong, or think any less of someone who does it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It would have been wrong for me... I was still partying and having fun and by no means ready...I had my first at 29 if that gives you any indication of how long I sowed my wild oats!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't think it's "wrong," at least you are a legal adult, but wouldn't you rather be doing other things, like going to college or establishing yourself, rather than raising a baby. I got pregnant at 19, but it wasn't planned. I love my son, but my original plans were to go to college, get a good job, get married && be married for a couple of years before I started a family.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think that each person is very different. Some 18 year olds are more mature than a lot of 30 year olds I know. I also believe that parenting is a learning experience and a tough one, no matter what age you are. Ultimately, the most important factor is that the child is well cared for and loved and has the opportunity to thrive. I think that people focus too much on the "younger" parents and don't see that they can be just as loving, successful and are usually wonderful parents. Like I said, I know many 30 year olds that could take a lesson from some of the 18 year old parents I know.....
    Anonymous

• I had my oldest son when I was 17. I was not exactly prepared but I had a very good support system. His father, my mother, my in laws, and several friends. I found it difficult at times but not impossilbe. I finished school am now married and have 2 other boys. I love my children and wouldn't change it for the world. So do I think it's wrong to be 18 adn pregnant? No, especially if you're mature enough to handle being a parent. Even if you're not there are options and everyone makes mistakes.
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Oh and is it anymore "WRONG" for someone young to have a baby verses being say over 35 when there are more risks and complications?
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• 18 is fine if you are ready.
    NATI2124

Answer by NATI2124 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I dont think age makes you ready to have a cause if it did i bodies wouldn't enable us to get pregnant until the age of 30 or something. the older you wait the more at risk you and the baby are. I have also met some immature worthless mothers over the age of 30. The advice i would give is when you were a child you did as a child does. now that you or when you become a mother. you should do as a good mother would. good luck
    Myni

Answer by Myni at 8:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i AM 18 AND i JUST FOUND OUT i WAS PREGNANT.. i AM THE HAPPiEST i HAVE EVER BEEN iN MY ENTiRE LiFE. i LOVE MY HUSBAND MORE THAN i EVER HAVE AND RiGHT NOW iS THE BEST TiME FOR US TO HAVE A BABY i WOULDNT HAVE CHOSEN TO HAVE iT ANY OTHER WAY. iN MY OPENiON iT DEPENDS ON HOW STABLE YOU LIFE IS AND WHAT RESOURSES YOU HAVE AND CHOOSE TO USE. CAUSE SOME 30 YEAR OLDS CANT TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES MUCHLESS A BABY... BUT THAT ALSO GOES FOR 18 YEAR OLDS TOO...
    XPECTiNGMOMMY

Answer by XPECTiNGMOMMY at 9:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I got pregnant with my daughter at 18 and had her at 19. I was ready and she was planned. Her father and I got married when she was 4 months old. We're still together and going strong. Our daughter is now 3.5 yrs. old and we now have a son that is almost 15 months.

Not all 18 yr. olds are ready for this kind of responsibility. And while my daughter was planned something I wonder why I was in such a rush. But I wouldn't take back any of it. But if your that young and thinking about having kids. At least be in a stable relationship with someone who also genuinely wants kids and the responsibilities that come with it. I'm lucky that my hubby turned out to be so great. So to answer your question... No, it's not wrong if your ready and prepared.
    Princess02266

Answer by Princess02266 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009