Why is age so important?

I have seen so many questions of moms asking "we" think it's wrong for teen and younger women to have babies. Why is it ,you think, that we are so obsessed with young verses older? Women over the age of 35 are putting there child and themselves at more risk than say a 17 - 18 yr old is. So what's the difference When women get preg. Planned and not at older and younger ages?

honeychick772

Asked by honeychick772 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• anon 8:38 so are you saying that if you don't have proper education you shouldn't be a parent anyway? And last I checked you can have premarital sex at any age.

I would chose to have my children young anyday. I am a product of older parents and besides all the kids at school making fun of my grandpa ( which was my dad). We were not any better off financially, plus my parents could not even relate to me.
    HoneyPot78

Answer by HoneyPot78 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• In my opinion, it's because a girl under the age of 20 won't have as much money and education as the average older woman. At least at 20 you've had a chance to go through two years of college, at 17 or 18 most people are still in high school. I think having a baby while in high school is just stupid, there's no need for it.

Oh, and I'd like to add that I'm 20, soon to be 21. I've had my fair share of shit thrown at me for being a young mom.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I am not trying to start a fight here, but I am pretty sure most studies show children of a 35 YO do better in most categories (including health issues) than those of 18 YO. That being said, I do not think age alone is the best indicator of what makes a good parent. For me, I did not have my first until I was 29 mainly because I was pretty unsettled before then. To be honest, I would have been just as bad a parent at 25 and I would have been at 18 and I know 25 is "more acceptable" than 18. If you are a teen Mom, just do your best to beat the odds (finish school, be in a stable relationship or have support, put your child first, etc..) and no one can really argue with you.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Check your facts. A teenager is at just as much risk for somethings in a pregnancy as an AMA mom.

Teens or "younger women" as you put it, are less likely to be married when they become pregnant. That and the general lack of maturity are usually the problems people have.

It's called premarital sex and no matter what people on these boards think, it is still looked down upon by the general public. Just because it's commonplace doesn't make it right in all people's eyes.

If one can't even use proper English when typing a post on a message board, how are they ready to handle the proper education and raising of a child?
    Anonymous

• High-five anon 8:38!!!!
    Anonymous

• Let me start by saying I had my son, unplanned, at 20 && I am now 22. I really don't care how old anyone else is when they decide to have kids, I mean it's their life not mine. As long as the child is being taken care of then it really doesn't matter. Personally, I don't understand why anyone would WANT to have kids as a teenager. I understand most teen moms did not plan to get pregnant but obviously you were having sex, so you knew the possible consequences. Like I said I had my son at 20, but trust me, there were a lot of things I still wanted to do before I started a family. that all being said I really don't think age should be the issue, maturity should. Just b/c a woman is 35 does not automatically mean that she is more mature. Yes, she probably has been in more situations or has more experience in certain areas, but that has nothing to do with maturity.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• (cont.) My ideal age to have a child would have been around 25, that way I could have time to myself before starting a family, but also not be too old to see my kids grow up.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• at least at 35 you have the maturity to raise a child and usually a stable home life and are not dependant on welfare, and hopefully the father to be is also in the picture and has a decent job.  Not to say that young moms don't but I know I was still a kid at 18 and hadn't finished my education.  I personally chose to have my kids betwwen 25 and 30, not too young and not physically too old.  All children are gifts, and we manage at whatever age they arrive.

luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Ok for " Anonymous at 8:38" For the record, on facts for pregnancy. Women over the age of 35 are at more of a risk in pregnancy and labor, especially C- sections tha 16 to 20. The average age pregnancy is most looked down on. It's benn proven in several medical studies. Look it up. It's in the book, What to expect when expecting, and you can find the information on various internet sites. Or just ask your Gyno.
    I am 21 I am married and have 3 boys. The are very happy boys very well taken care of. As a matter of fact my 17 month old can say three word sentences. I don't think it has anything to do with being a young parent. I take time with my children to make sure they are always taken care of. PERIOD!
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• It's important because younger people are generally selfish, irresponsible, lack life experience and in the under 18 catagory, still need adult supervision, structure and guidance! How can we be expected to raise a child when we are still growing up ourselves? How many of us thought we knew it all as teens, only to grow up and realize what idiots we were?

But on the other hand, if we wait too long, we are risking our health and in some cases, we risk getting too old and feeble to handle a small child with so much energy!

Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009