What is this battle with Walmart? I know a lot of people hate Walmart and I wanna know why?

I m seeing anti walmart bumper stickers now!

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 8:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Walmart is doing great even though this economy is not all that good! My husband works there and said that people who wouldn't have been caught dead shopping at Walmart a few years ago are now shopping there. I'm sure the bumper stickers were put out by businesses who are suffering right now. It's too bad they have to bash another business to try and get there own business. This would be my assumption anyways.
    Anonymous

• I love wal-mart
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• This is my personal opinion and I do not bash others for shopping there as I understand that for many people , they can't afford not to shop there, but for me I abhor their business practices, They pay there their employees nothing and encourage them to go on welfare, they have been sued for ignoring labor laws in many states, most of their products are manufactured overseas by 8 year olds making pennies a day, there by forcing out American manufacturers. Besides which most of their merchandise is poor quality.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• People don't like walmart because they won't let their workers unionize and pay everyone minimum wage. They (Whoever owns the Walmart corporation) tend to build stores in small towns which eventually puts those generationally owned stores that have been in families for years out of business because they can't compete with Walmart. This is why the store is actually banned from New York City, New York. If Walmart were to come in all those corner street shops would no longer exist.I personally don't necessarily agree with how Walmart treats their employees, however no one is being forced to work there and I have no problems shopping there myself.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• luvschocalate-May I ask where you get your information from? It's not true...My husband has worked there for 6 years and has gone from starting out at 20K a year to now making 108K year. They never once asked him to go on welfare....what are you talking about? They try to move their employees up to better positions, but some of them are happy where they are or don't want to put in the work to move up! They don't ignore labor laws. They hire people to hire for them and those people ignore labor laws. You should do your research before you talk smack. JMO.
    Anonymous

• ba13yrgrl. You are exactly right....Nobody forces people to work for Walmart!
    Anonymous

• If you don't like what Wal-Mart pays, then don't work there. If you don't like that their stuff is manufacturered overseas, well, don't shop at Target, or Sears, or JcPenney or Dillards, or Kohls, or...well, pretty much any other major deparment store, or sporting goods store, or clothing store, or...

Walmart is the picture of successful capitalism, and liberals hate that.
    AutumnBlessing

Answer by AutumnBlessing at 9:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• wtf.stupid.Im a liberal and i LOVE walmart.
    babysyoungmom1

Answer by babysyoungmom1 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I prefer target.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't like the way they force mom and pop businesses out, and even larger companies. I don't have a problem with other people shopping there, but my family is in the grocery business and I refuse to support them because they are direct competition for many other retailers. I find that their quality is substandard at best. Their stores are always dirty and messy, and I find that many parents bring their kids there and let them run loose, just to rip the shelves apart like animals.

Anonymous