Do you know what my 5 year old just said to me?

My 5 year old little girl is of course at that age where she is testing her limits. EVERY night it is the same fight to get her to put her pj's on. I tell her to do it 20 times and it takes her 30 minutes to do it. Of course I threaten to spank her if she doesn't do what I say, and of course I threaten A lot more than I do spank. Well tonight I got mad and told her if she didn't put her pj's on now I was going to spank her. She looked at me and " fine just go ahead and spank me". UGHHHHH!!! her little mouth and attitude are about to drive me crazy. We have done time out, taken toys away, and spanked her. Nothing is working. She is so sweet and good when we are out or when she is at preschool, but she comes home and turns into a mean little monster. I really do not know what to do anymore, and I am afraid she is just going to get worse.

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 9:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is also 5. I don't spank him very often, but I do tend to send him to his room a lot. Usually he will say or do something, and I send him to his room (that's like his time out, but not really because he has all his toys n stuff in there). Anyways, today I sent him to his room because he pissed me off, and he said, "That's ok, I'm used to it!" So now I guess I need to find some other punishment, that he's not used to. Man, what are we going to do with these sassy little kids?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well first of all, when she said " fine just go ahead and spank me", did you? If you're going to tell her you're going to do it you have to own up to it when the time comes.
    Anonymous

• Well, I hope you did just that! There is noooo way my kids would get away with talking to me like that. If you didn't go ahead and spank her after she said that, that is why she acts like she does. You threaten and she knows you're not gonna follow through. You have taughther that you just make empty threats and she is testing you to see if you really mean what you say. Obviously you don't and she knows it. The best thing you could have done is give her a nice hard spanking right then and let her know you mean what you say. Consistency is the key. You can't blame her for her bad behavior if you're not going to parent her correctly. This is what's wrong with so many parents these days... too lazy to parent their children & teach them personal discipline.

Anonymous

• Sounds like my 5yr. old niece. She has been acting just like this attitude and all. Everything is I don't care! And the world revolves around her. I know what you mean it is enought to pull your hair out! I'd like to tell you it will get better but we used to be little girls once too and know that it will not. I have a 5yr. old boy and I used to hate when my niece and he were toddlers. She would sit so cute and innocent and he would run all over and not listen etc. My sister would always say God I am so glad I had a girl. Now that they are 5 I say I am sooooo glad I had a boy.LOL
    theboysmom311

Answer by theboysmom311 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Try "1,2,3 Magic".
    And yes, if you threaten something, even spanking, you can't let her call your bluff.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• All kids go through that stage some time or another.I feel for you I know how hard that can be.I think the best way to handle that situation is to ignorre her,I mean there's a time to discipline and discipline but don't let her sassyness get to you.She wants your attention and love but she is learning she can get other attention whether it's bad.I don't think spanking is the answer,if she's witty enough to stand up to you she has the abilty to think of a more positive way to get out of her disagreements with you,you just have to guide her not always react negatively to her demands.Teaching a child no when no is appropriate and being consistent with it,standing your ground and writing out her schedule and house rules so she can see it will help her learn to be responsible for herself and gain independence skills.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• When she is negative to you and it makes you so mad,mad enough to spank,that's when you need a time out and cool off.You are teaching her that she can't push your buttons and she can't have that bad attention.Tell her once it's time for bed and have her read the rules before bedtime,if she doesn't do it then she is learning about choices and responsibility issues.She is getting so much bad attention from you,why does she have to be good?Tell her if she doesn't get pj's on then she doesn't watch t.v. or play with her toys.Find out what she really likes and take it away from her, tell her she has to earn it back, that's what I do with my daughter and it works great.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I know my2.5boys doesn't it scare you to think if they are this sassy now, what will they be like at 15? What doesn't help is that her granparents let her get away with everything. I might just be bald by the time she is 10, from pulling my hair in frustration!!!! But what is really sad is she is JUST like me at that age.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• every time you threaten and dont follow through she learns that you wont... tell her get ready for bed... count to 3 and get the belt. After a few nights she'll start listening.
    edenmoseley

Answer by edenmoseley at 4:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2009