What are the practices of your faith?

What are the things that people of your religion do to practice that faith? Whether it's an occasional, or regular thing. Just what is typical for the religion in general, or what is specific to your personal path. Devotional candles? Yoga? Praying in the direction of a Holy City? Offering wine? Making the sign of the cross? Making challah? Wearing a particular item of clothing or jewelry? Animal sacrifice? (Tee hee.)

No bashing... just sharing!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 9:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm actually really not into 'rituals' as far as religion goes. I tend to see it as more of a lifestyle. So in terms of my daily practice, I try to be mindful in what I am doing. I try to incorporate the Eightfold Path and the Buddhist precepts into my daily life (I'm a vegetarian, for instance, because of the precept to avoid killing and violence against sentient beings... I also shoo bugs outside instead of swatting them!) I try to make time for sitting meditation but it doesn't happen every day. It's just part of my life in a great number of ways- Buddhism appeals to me because so much of it is (to me) good basic common sense.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Ummm well I guess you can say Seventh Day Adventists special religiouse thing is going to church on Saturday and NOT buying OR selling on that day. We observe sabbath sundown to sundown and on that day choose to not do anything secular. That mean's t.v. shows are christian based and we tend to go out in nature more that day and thank God for his wonderful nature he has given us. This is a generality, there are SDA's who DO NOT do anything but sit at home stuy the bible and think's it's wrong to do anything excercising on the sabbath and don't even cook. For the most part cook ahead if you can but if you can't don't let your family starve lol. But if you're gonna cook try and keep it simple likecorn dogs in the oven or soup yah know? Ummm any other questions about the seventh day adventists feel free to as kme or other's there is a group on CM who are SDA's.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 9:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Read the Bible, Pray, and Love the Lord with all of our Heart, Mind and Soul.
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 9:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I try to meditate at least 5 mins a day. At holidays I do rituals to thank the earth and the God/Goddess for the bounty,etc. I light candles to pray for things.
    Im learning yoga to help me with my inner peace.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I do a lot of studies on ancient mythology (I'm agnostic). I like studying how quote un-quote "dead religions" are linked to the major ones of today. I try to meditate when I find the time. I spend more time than I should contemplating the meaning of lots of stuff. I spend a lot of time searching for the truth, even if I don't find it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I have a cup of coffee every morning and I love Bikram yoga.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Oh and a glass of wine at night..cheers.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Keep the seventh-day Sabbath holy (wholly!) Read and study the Bible, have morning devotions, afternoon and evening ones, too. We have Holy Communion with footwashing every now and then, Campmeeting once a year (which I love!)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• hmm...what do other Christians do or what do I do? i'll just list what i do...

i pray to God for help in bad times & to thank Him during the good times. i sing songs in praise to him. i turn to my Bible for guidance & inspiration when times are tough and when i have questions. im always looking for ways i can better my relationship w/ God. i try my best to do what i know is right. thats about it...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I put on my Tree of Life pendant and rings expressing my marital/familial love... breathe, walk, eat, think, hug, love, holler (I am a mom!!), hug some more, work a bunch, take off the Pendant/rings and go to bed. I have no faith, this is what my LIFE is about.

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2009