my baby is 4 months and she wont eat her rice w/o fruit or a veggie and the doctor say not to do that only rice so what do i do???? and do you think its ok to put a little apple juice in with it the doctor says not to let them start drinking juice until she is 6 month so is putting it in her rice ok???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the doctor said only rice and no juice, then only rice is what you should do. Putting juice into her rice is giving her juice. They want people to hold off giving other foods, I understand, because the children are more prone to develop allergies- at least this is what I am hearing. The baby doesn't need the cereal sweetened, and it would be a good thing to get her used to eating things without added sweetening.

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My son was 5 months I think when I started Rice. He did not want it. My doc said no juice also. He said to try some veggies first. So I gave him some carrots and he ate them. So I do rice with a little fruit now. but he prefers baby food by itself. He still drinks formula now since he is only 8 months.
    So I just gave him carrots at first and then each week I'd introduce a new veggie or fruit. Sometimes he still doesn't want to eat the baby food but I try to give him something.
    They say rice to be on the safe side. Maybe in another month try adding to the cereal. You can't make her eat something if she won't open her mouth.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Can you just stop giving her the rice? 4 months is on the early end of the spectrum, even for a formula fed baby, so maybe just waiting a few weeks and then reintroducing it would work better for her. There's no reason to give rice that early for most babies - the formula should be complete enough nutrition for her.

(And if you're breastfeeding, it absolutely is and you should stop the rice immediately and find a new dr if he's the one who suggested it.)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• you can mix rice with formula or breastmilk, and every Dr. has a different opinion on the subject my friend fed her baby mashed potatoes at 2 month, now his year in a half and he is doing just fine
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Try a different grain - oatmeal or barley may be more acceptable to your little one's pallet. You dont' want to make everything sweet because you want them to like food that isn't sweet as well. Also, there is nothing saying you have to start with grains...you could start with pureed veggies or pureed fruit instead. Avocado is a great beginner food....its high in fat so it is filling, it is pleasing to baby's pallet, isn't sweet and is very gentle on little tummies. Pureed sweet potato, apple, pear, squash, etc. would be fine too.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• All my boys were drinking watered down juice at about 3 months. I also added fruits and veggies to the rice cereal. And I promise you they are all alive and well. Remeber though they may be doctors, you no what's best for your child. Always watch for rashes though when trying out new foods.
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I put babyfood in my son's cereal when he was 2 months old and sometimes I mixed it with juice. What doctor's tell you are RECOMMENDATIONS. YOU are the parent and you get to decide what you do with your child. Your doctor cannot demand you do something with your child, they can only make suggestions. YOU are the only one that knows what your child can or cannot handle. Your child will be ok if you add a bit of babyfood or juice to the cereal. Just watch for signs of allergy. My son was on cereal at 2 weeks old and by the time he was 8 months he was on 2% milk and all tablefood. He has no allergies, he is no where near obese. He is happy, healthy, intelligent and respectful. You do what you feel is right for your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My DD is 3.5 months and she has baby cereal in her bottle (for reflux) and then i tspn in a bowl mixed with formula once or twice a day. You could tell she was hungry and bored with milk. She would stare at my food at gape. The reason he probably says "no juice" is the sweet factor. Try a vegie instead.

At the end of the day your baby will tell you what she needs so just listen. If she really wants the cereal you will know.

We're starting with roast sweet potato next
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would wait until 6 months and try solids. I do know that while most doctors will say start veggies first they also say that because of the sweetness of breast milk you can start bf babies on bananas first and that was my son's first food. It didn't screw him up. He's 10 mos and eats all fruits and veggies. I wouldn't give juice, that's just empty calories your baby should be eating calories not drinking them.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2009