homework for a 3 year old?

My daughter Amanda has some delays in her fine motor skills and attention issues ( beyond normal 3yo stuff). she is currently enrolled in a special education preschool class to help her before regular school starts. I would like to sit down with her and do a pre-writing workbook page with her once a day, kind of like homework.I tried today to get her to at least trace a couple lines with her finger and she wouldn't even stick out her finger and touch the page. I'm not sure what to do. my parents never made me do my homework, ever. I don't want my daughter to be a bad student because of my lack of knowledge or inexperience. how would or do you encourage you kids ( any age) to do their homework? I want to do this right so we have a set pattern when it comes down to actual school.

Her delays are just enough to qualify her for special ed and she can catch up by kindergarten with help and the workbook is just line trac

litlsuzzy

Asked by litlsuzzy at 9:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Was the workbook assigned or recommended by the school? If not, I would wait a while and try again. For fine motor working with crayons would probably be almost as good. They are not as thin as a pencil, but its a good start. Do not feel pressure from the over performing Mom's to have your child in the top 10% in Kindergarten... they all develop at their own pace. Pushing too hard may have the opposite effect and she may not like "school". I would also try markers and dot to dot books to see if you can spark her interest! Good luck, I am sure you are doing great!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Try getting her a coloring book and have her keep it inside the lines. Or you can print out a maze an draw a line solving it. Have her trace over the line you did. I homeschool my ds (he's 4) and we have been doing workbooks since he was 3. I had him do a page a day, 5 days a week. Now that he's older we do 1-2 hours a day 4 days a week. He's doing great. He had some fine motor skill problems too but now his writing is almost as good as my 7 year old. Try and make it fun and don't put to much pressure on her.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• another thing to use is pudding, whipcream, shaving cream on a try. My mil is a tutor for children and she says it is a great way to start.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• All this book has on the first page is a set of wiggley lines for a child to follow with a crayon. I tried to get her to do it with her finger since all she wants to do with a crayon it make circles and pick at it. the rest of the book is a bunch of "mazes" that have only one way to go.
    she wouldn't even point her finger and touch the page. I want it to be fun and for her to feel proud of herself when she succeeds. she loves to get applause, but I can't get her to even do a simple task like touching the page.
    I don't care if she's the best in her class, I just want her to try. I know she'll like it. I just don't know where to start.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 9:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• She is 3 and probably not interested in homework. You can have her draw in pudding, applesauce, fingerpaints, sand, etc. Coloring pictures, drawing with crayons, markers, colored pencils, etc. will all help. Playing with clay or playdough will help her small muscle development. Playing with puzzles, blocks, etc will help too. She will have plenty of time to do homework, for now it needs to be fun and seem like play. Don't force it, if she isn't into it, then don't do it. Stop and try again later.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Shes tooooooooo young for "HOMEWORK" ... So just have fun with her. If she feels your tense about getting her to learn this stuff, she isnt going to want to do it! And kids have to WANT to do stuff..
    My dd knows all of her colors, but she will only say them when SHE WANTS TO... lol... so when im wanting to be "teacher" with her shes reminds me she controls the brain & i cant make her do or say anything.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• she doesn't play with puzzles or blocks, that's apart of her fine motor skill delay. she doesn't really color either, she just makes circles and tries to eat the crayons or what ever I give her to draw with. No lines of any kind which was a part of her evaluation that showed a delay.
    I would give anything for her to try to acknowledge the lines in a coloring book and try to stay inside them. she won't even use her free hand to hold a page still.
    I don't think she's too young to do a coloring page or maze a day at a specific time each day like you would have an older child do homework. I just don't know how to get her started so she see's how fun it can be. my parents never sat me down for homework time ever and got my first "f" in second grade. I don't want that for my kids.so I'm starting good habits now.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 7:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Try making whatever you do with her fun. Get some shaving cream and let her make whatever it is you want her to make.Have a special area just for that tho.she can draw lines in the cream.Let HER be the teacher and see what happens, change the role.Don't make it homework, just make it fun.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Just have fun with her.....if you find a chance to let her practice her fine motor skills in fun and playful ways throughout the day or the week, that is fine, but at that young age having her sit and focus on homework will probably make her more resistant. Especially if it is stuff that is harder for her.... I think it is great that you want to help her, and that you plan to see that she is engaged at school and does her homework, but remember she is very young! Everything should be fun right now!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Yo need to give yourself a break and a pat on the back as well. The fact that you have had her tested and have her in a special pre school says a lot about you. You are doing a great job. Seems you are worried that you are not doing enough- I think you are doing plenty and doing it well. Maybe give it a rest for a few weeks and try again.. you both could be experiencing burn out... until then, relax and enjoy her! You are a good Mom.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2009