When did you first feel that you were a mom?

I felt like a mom this morning for the first time. I am 18 weeks pregnant and it didnt occur to me until last night when I felt my son move for the first time. I was just like ehh, its normal and it still felt surreal to me. I fell asleep and had a dream about me having my son and looking in his eyes for the first time. I woke up crying and he was just kicking away. I knew right then, that I am a mommy.

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 9:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have a unique situation because i am a mother to 2 boys that i have never given birth to.

I first felt like a mom to my little brother when he stopped asking our mom for his needs and asked me instead.
    I felt like a mom to my DSS when he stopped calling for his grandma every time something was wrong.

But i still think i have yet to feel that dawning moment. I have not yet had to care for my own infant. I have not had the responsibility of a person so helpless. ...**sighs** hopefully in the next 2 years i'll finally get that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• The first time my son puked on my. And I'm not talking spit up, full on excorcist puke. And I just cleaned it up and went back to eating dinner.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I felt like a mom for the first time just the other day. I realized that I would rather cuddle with my daughter than eat. That to me is the sign of a real mother, when you are willing to forsake everything else for your child.

Oh, and I really felt like a mom the first time my daughter crapped on my shirt from two feet away =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think it finally donned on me when I had my first. But I just turned 23 and I actually felt it this year. I finally knew I was an adult, married and a MOM! It was a crazy feeling!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 9:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• When I brought my first baby home from the hospital - he was premature and in the hospital 15 days, and I realized that I had full responsibility for him. I jumped right in and found it confusing and terrifying at first. As I gained experience I learned to trust myself more.

Answer by Bmat at 9:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• The first time I had morning sickness, that was also my last.. for that pregnacy

r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I didn't feel like a mom until I was about 8 mths preg. with my first. When we started putting beds together, buying clothes, all that stuff.
    HoneyPot78

Answer by HoneyPot78 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• When my MIL came over to see him and he kept crying and crying until he saw me and looked at me and instantly stopped. It made me feel like he knew who I was and no one could replace me.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think the first time I felt like a mom was my first night at home with my daughter as a newborn.

But the first time I REALLLLLY felt like HER mother, her advocate and her provider was this past May (she's almost 3) when I met with the school district to discuss her "special needs" and how to treat them. She has a speech delay. It felt like the first time I have really made a decision that will affect the rest of her life. I know that's not necessarily true, but that's how it felt to me.
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 10:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2009