What's your opinion on the woman who breastfed her eight year old daughter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxv6R9fUO74

Is this taking extended breastfeeding too far?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's taking it way too far! It has NO benefits whatsoever at that age. JMO
    Anonymous

• omg i had to turn it off...
    Yeah i think it got taken too far
    I plan on breastfeeding until my baby is about 6months, maybe 1 if i can deal that long

but then Im going to pump when Im done breastfeeding because then my baby will still be getting breastmilk

and I the longest I plan on pumping is until my baby is 18mos or 2 but as soon as the baby can walk it time to get off my nipple an on to a sippy or bottle...
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• NASTY! I only did it till my baby was 4 months.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• There is no reason for her to be doing that. It's sick. Breastfeeding is just like bottle feeding, it's not like you would see an 8 year old running around with a bottle of formula in her mouth....hopefully.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Its one thing to do that, another to video tape it....
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• oh that is sick, a mother that does that needs serious help!
    Anonymous

• I am all for extended breastfeeding. I am hoping to breastfeed until my baby is at least 1yr and then pumping for as long as i can.
    But after 2-3 yrs old actually latching on breastfeeding needs to stop IMO. Each family and each child is different. But at around the time that you expect that child to eat whatever you cook for dinner is when it is time to stop the breastfeeding.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I personally wouldn't do it, but as long as the children are well cared for, healthy, and able to function in society at an age-appropriate level who am I to say it's "bad" for them? I think extended nursing is fabulous (and natural) but I would encourage weaning probably before the age of 5. I always got pregnant when my baby was a year old, and my milk dries up (plus I get "nursing aversion" - I def. didn't keep going for my own enjoyment LOL) so with those factors the longest I've nursed is to 30 mos. (Except for a couple of instances after weaning.) I don't feel guilty for nursing too long, and I don't feel guilty for not nursing long enough. It worked for us as long as it worked for us, and when it didn't we changed things. No tears, no muss, no fuss. Just living joyfully together, doing what works for us. I assume that's what this family does as well - and if everyone did, the world would be a better place. JMO.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• my grandmother said they used to breastfeed that long years ago. I guess if it helps feed a child then what the heck. I don't have a problem with it as long as I don't have to watch an 8 yr old breastfeed in public.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• YUCK!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous