Has your child ever fallen down a flight of stairs? Were they okay?

My friends baby just fell down a flight of stairs while in a walker. They took her to the hospital. My friend said that the baby seemed fine. She only cried for a few minutes. I am also worried about my friend (and her teen daughter, who was supposed to be watching the baby) I can't imagine what they are feeling... I hope all is well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We don't have stairs at my house.
    I really hope your friend's baby is ok.
    This is why they don't recommend walkers anymore.

* Nearly 15,000 injuries are treated in emergency rooms every year as a result of walkers. More than 35 children have died since 1973 because of baby walkers.
    * Babies in walkers can fall over objects and can roll into hot stoves, pools, and heaters; the most severe injuries occur when infants roll down stairs in their walkers and strike their heads at the bottom.
    * Gates at the top of stairs do not prevent falls and even the best adult supervision doesn't guarantee that these falls won't happen.
    * Research shows that walkers do not provide any advantage to a child's development. Walkers do not teach infants to walk or enable them to walk sooner than they would without one. Walkers may also deny infants the necessary opportunities for pulling up, creeping, and crawling.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 10:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• OP here. I totally agree with the not having walkers. Not sure why she had one. Thanks for the stats though, I am going to email them to her.
    Anonymous

• My now 3 year old took a tumble down the stairs when he was two. He woke up from his nap and climbed right over the top of the baby gate.He had a couple bumps and bruises but was fine. Scared the heck out of both of us though. Best to get checked out to make sure all is as well as it appears.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My niece fell down the basement stairs and landed on the concrete floor. She was prefectly fine. She didn't hit one of the stairs, it was amazing. Also, where did your friend even get a walker for her baby? Those are the worst things ever made.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Babies are amazingly resillant.  My ds climbed a shelf and grabbed the cord from an iron.  He climbed back down without a problem.  He yanked on the cord and pulled the iron down on his head, pointy side down.  Luckily he was at the age he could tell me what happened.  I called the Dr. and told him what happened and what ds' symptoms were and they said to keep an eye on him.  He never had a problem other than a good sized goose egg.  I still beat myself up over that.  Hope your friends baby is ok.

sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Walkers aren't safe if you have stairs in the home... I would tell them to get rid of it ASAP

But my son has fallen down the stairs several time and has always been just fine. Thankfully we have carpet and a split level home so the stairs aren't as tall as in some homes.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I fell down the basement stairs in my walker when I was a baby. I was following my father. I obviously survived okay. The walker managed to stay upright the whole way down the stairs until I hit the bottom, then it tipped over after it hit bottom.

It's so horrible when your baby gets hurt! I don't wish it on anyone! My son fell out of his highchair a few weeks ago and my heart still aches when I think about it. Don't you just wish you could keep them in a bubble forever?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I was once told that it is better for a baby and not a toddler or child to fall down. A baby will go limp and hence minimise damage to themselves. They apparently bounce but a toddler or a child will try to stop themselves and hence cause damage to whatever gets in the way.

Its horrible though ... you never want it to happen!!!
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I'm glad she took the baby to the doctor. If the baby begins to vomit soon afterward, shows signs of severe pain (headache), or has pupils that are unequal, everything is not okay and the child should be taken back to the E.R. Also, your friend should trust her mom instinct. If she feels that her child is just not "right", she should go back and insist that he/she be seen again.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2009