i want to breast feed my baby failed with my last 3 i need info.

i have been unseccfull with my last 3 babys because the pain. with my last one i used nipple cream nipple gaurds and shields but it still hurt so bad i couldnt stand it any suggestions i reallly want to succeed this time.

faith86

Asked by faith86 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• speak with the hospital lactation consultant immediately after birth, get help with latch.

contact your local le leche league and go to meetings now, meet other nursing moms. (you can go to the LLL webpage too).

"The Breastfeeding Book" and "the womanly art of breastfeeding" are great books too. As is "The Ultimate Breastfeeding book of Answers"
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• it really shouldnt hurt if you are having the baby latch on properly. the latch is VERY important. I suggest highly that you seek help from a lactation consultant! I struggled for two months with my son with brestfeeding, scheduled with a LC and sitting in her office it all went away!!!!! Just like that. Mind you, you will still be a little sore for about two weeks while your nipples get use to the sucking...but it does goes away! Do not make giving up an option especially if this is something you REALLY want for yourself and the baby! GL mama.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I didn't breastfeed my first four kids either. Well, I guess I could have said that I couldn't but that would not be the truth. I could have, I just didn't know any better, so when it started to hurt, or I thought they weren't getting enough milk, I would give up. I finally breastfed my last and I know what you mean by hurt. It hurt sooooo bad for the first 2 weeks. I kept telling myself that the pain would go away eventually, and I just kept trying. The pain just started going away little by little. After a while, it would just hurt when she first latched on, and then when my milk would come in, and I would hear her swallowing, I would focus on that and the pain would go away. I would take her in every few days to weigh her, just to make sure she was growing. It was hard, and it still is, but I would do it all over again. Good luck.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Oh, yeah, I took tylenol when I felt like I really needed to. Ask your doctor, but I don't think that it should hurt the baby much.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think it's funny that when you talk with the lactation consultant before the baby is born, she says "Breast feeding will be a little painful at first but after a couple of weeks, you won't even notice!" Then you go back in when the baby is a few days old and tell her it feels as though someone is stabbing you in the boobies with a very sharp knife when your baby latches on and she giggls and says, "Yeah, that's normal." WTF?? Thanks for the heads up!

Seriously though, it really does get better. Just stick with it and use lots of nipple cream to avoid cracks and bleeding.

mabowlin003

Answer by mabowlin003 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Lactaction consultant. I paid for one to come out to my home when it wasn't working and it was the best money I spent. My daughter and I nursed for 15.5 months and only stopped because it was time for us to stop.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 10:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• and join the group 'Breastfeeding Moms' BEFORE you have the baby. They will help you, they won't make you feel stupid (believe me!) and won't judge you.
    Veela

Answer by Veela at 10:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I will second Veela's suggestion. Stop on by the Breastfeeding Moms group. We'll work with you so you are successful this time.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• La Leche League www.llli.org has a lot of info, meetings and leaders to talk to, www.kellymom.com talk to a lactation consultant before you give birth, then have one help you right after you give birth (do not settle for a nurse to help you, get a LC). yes, and go to the breastfeeding moms group :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• My friend is a breastfeeding momma of 2 and said that when she was close to her due date her OB/GYN told her to I guess for lack of a better explaination to rub or "condition" her nipples to "toughen them up" before the baby actually came she would be past a lot of the painful part so as to not fail because of the pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2009