my daughter has never slept in her own bed. she is 3 years old now how do i make her sleep in her bed

i bought her a new bed and she loves to play in it during the day, but come night time she gets scared and wants to sleep with mommy and daddy. i now have a newborn who sleeps with me. what do i do

amberr1220

Asked by amberr1220 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• there are two different ways you can do this IMO.
    The first and the fastest (and the easiest IMO) is to explain to her that she has to sleep in her own bed. And then just keep putting her back in bed. it doesnt matter how many times she gets up or how much she screams. she gets put back in her bed.
    The other way to do this would be to put her bed RIGHT next to your bed. hopefully she'll sleep in it if it's right next to yours. then after a week move her bed to the foot of your bed. then after a week move it to right in front of the bedroom door (i'm assuming she has her own room). then after a week move her to right outside the front door. ect ect. until she is going to sleep in her bed.
    GL
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i would have the newborn in a crib...speaking from a mommy who also let her son co-sleep...and since its giving you problem right now you really should just start the baby in the crib or a bassinet. Just put it right next to your bed. GL!
    Anonymous

• Are you still breastfeeding her?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• i usually leave the baby in a crib next to my bed, but my oldest doesn't understand why she should sleep in her bed. should i just let her cry when i put her back in her room
    amberr1220

Answer by amberr1220 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I had a similar situation when my daughter was almost three. We got her really excited about it and got the sheets that she liked (Disney princess happened to be on sale at target that week!). Just get her pumped for it and create a routine. For my daughter it was bath, brush teeth, pajamas, story time then lights out. The first couple of nights I would stay with her in the dark and sing a few nursery rhymes but after a week or two (of screaming her head off) she had the hang of it. There were nights when I would pat her back for upwards of 45 minutes to make sure my little girl wasn't scared. The key for us was sticking to the routine, making sure she had her afternoon nap and actually getting her tired - lots of psychical playtime. Best of luck to you! Stick with it and remember that you are not alone! Another note, kids this age really thrive off repetition, pick a few books that you can read every night, this may help!
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I"m going thru same thing now my daughter was sleeping in her own bed but she stayed with my mil and thats what started it i should have nipped it in the bud then but didn't you live and you learn. I'm preggo now and hoping that i can get her to sleep in her own bed. best of luck to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Ok, I had the same problem but I had 2 kids in bed with me. I know most people don't don't agree with it but I had to sleep in the room with my girls at first, Then I moved from the bed to floor for a couple of nights, then I would get up and leave once they were asleep. I still stay in the room with them until they fall asleep but they stay all night now. I sit in a bean bag chair between their beds until they go to sleep and we have a good bed time routine. It takes awhile when they are so use to sleeping with you, you have to do what you feel is right for you and your child, there is no one thing that will work for every child. Trust me I tried all the things people suggest and this is what worked for us. We have a new baby now and she is in the crib so we wont go through this again.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• That bed moving suggestion is def. worth a try. My younger cousin slept with his mom till he was almost 5 and she had the worlds worst time getting him into his own bed in his own room. With him she put his bed next to hers and left it there a month, then the bed went to the other side of the room for a month, then the hallway for about a week and then my cousin announced on his own he wanted his bed put in his room where it belonged and from that night on he's slept in his own bed with no problems. I've heard some other stories of that method working so if nothing else does, give it a shot. Just make sure no matter what method you use you explain everything to your daughter about what's going to happen and why. Preschoolers especially need that why factor, even if it seems they won't understand. They're smarter then we think :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• my daughter used to sleep in her own room now she has to be in my room to sleep, she is three. her and her younger brother share a room hes fine with sleeping in his bed and in the room so my bff told me to put her bed right next to his bed, and it will help keep her in there..
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well, first I'd stop with the baby in the bed or your going to be right where you are now in 4 years. Both my boys slept in a bassinet from the day the came home from the hospital so sleeping in their beds have never been an issue. Okay....enough preaching.....

Anywho.....start a bedtime routine with her like you would an infant, dinner, bath, story, then bed. She will keep getting up and you will have to be consistant with it pick her up put her back to bed and tell her its time to go to bed. (It will help if the baby is not in your bed when your doing this) Eventually, she will get tired and will go to sleep it should get easier as the days/weeks go on. Another option is to sit in her room on the floor(don't look at her or talk to her) and slowly move towards the door and each day start closer to the door than the day before. Soon you will be outside the door and she'll be lying in bed no prob. We hope :)
    tatertotmomof2

Answer by tatertotmomof2 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009