Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a noncustodial parent......

Can a non custodial parent try and gain full custody if they still owe child support and havent paid for several years?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • yes

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • What if it means taking the child out of the school they've been going to for 8yrs?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • well they can try but you can just bring up the fact that they havent even done the least to care for the child and thats child support. Just bring up the fact that the other parent is not even responsible enough to do that much and youve been raising the child just fine the ocurt should have no reason to take ur child from you

    Answer by Dom123123 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • honey they can try but i seriously doubt they will win. especially full custody.

    Answer by tnm786 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

  • They can try, but unless you are a seriously unfit parent, it's unlikely they will win. Not paying child support seriously hurts any case they can make, so you would have to be a pretty horrible parent for them to win.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 9:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • It would be difficult because not paying support seems to indicate lack of commitment and lack of interest, but it also depends on the issues the other parent may have as well.

    Answer by BJoan at 10:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • Yes. Child support and custody are two different issues. Just because someone petitions the courts doesn't mean they will get anything but a lecture for not paying child support.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Sure! They would have to prove the custodial parent unfit...which is difficult to do, so I would not worry, unless I were some huge crack head.

    Answer by salexander at 1:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.