Medicaid question...

Ok, for all of you mothers who have medicaid, what proof can I use for proof of income? My SO threw away my check stubs for one of my jobs and I need to reapply! Please don't judge me for applying for medicaid.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• In Mo you have to have your pay check stub. You can request a copy from the Human Resource office wherever you work. They have to have a copy of it.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 10:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• If they do not have a copy of it for some reason, they can print out some record of it and the manager can sign it. Make sure it has the gross, net incomes and the deductions for taxes listed. Also the pay period and the rate of pay...how much per hour.
    Anonymous

• I also would not throw away your pay stubs anymore! Keep them at least until tax time if not longer. Occasionally people will find mistakes on their paystubs that go back months. If this happens but you don't have past paystubs, you cannot tell how long they have been making a mistake.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• there is also a earings sheet that your employer can fill out..it takes not even five minutes for them to sign out and they can fax it too for you.
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I agree with all of the PPs here. You can ask HR to print something out for you.

I also wanted to comment that getting health insurance for your family is nothing to be ashamed of. If you work in a job that doesn't offer health insurance and you qualify for Medicaid then you are doing the right thing by applying. Negative associations of public assistance are based on people who abuse the system. THIS IS NOT AND ABUSE OF THIS SYSTEM. This is exactly why it's there! Anyone who says otherwise is no one that you should pay any mind to.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Thank you beckcorc,

I see too many people judging and it just irks me. People believe that you have it easy if you have medicaid, like all you have to do is apply and it falls right in your lap. It can be a frustrating process. You have to proof everything and it's not always easy. I can't even begin to say how bad I want a job that offers health insurance. I feel bad that I have to apply for this but it's the only option until I can find employment that has adequate health benefits.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You can have your employer write out a statement with your rate of pay, average number of hours worked for the past month. It has to be on letterhead though. I have had to do that. You can also call the HR dept and ask for a printout for the last 30 days of paystubs. Best of luck. I know how you feel about the process to go through to get medicaid.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2009