Approximately how much do you spend on groceries and cleaning supplies a month?

I was just reading that the "cheapest family in America" spends $350 dollars a month in groceries and cleaning supplies a month for a family of 7??
How much do you spend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ramen noodles and bologna.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• We spend around $60 a week for 3 people. I make many of our own cleaning products. We don't use disposable anything. Past the age of 2,the only beverage humans need is water; don't buy juice, milk, soda, etc., except as a special treat. Cook from scratch. Replace meat with beans, seitan, lentils & tofu. Cook dried beans instead of buying canned. Make your own seitan. Whole grains, like whole wheat pasta & brown rice, may cost more than simple grains, like white rice & pasta, but they are more filling &more nutritious, so they really are the better value. Frozen fruits & vegetables often cost less than fresh; they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life & holding their nutrition longer. Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries & whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies & a little bit of cheese with whole grain toast.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• cont.

Before you go to the grocery store, plan your meals & snacks for the next 8 days.Base your grocery list on your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons. Eat before you shop. Buy only whatÒ€ℒs on your list. The sales at the store are not to save you money, but to get you to buy more than you need; if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next 3-4 weeks, don't buy it. If you would like some delicious, healthy & family/budget friendly recipes, feel free to contact me. -Robin

• We spend around 250 dallors for a family of 4 on Gro.and cleaning supplies. And I do coupons, and make my own laundry soap. Hit alot of sale every chance I get. Plus we put out a larger garden in the summer to help bring the gro cost down more.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 10:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• We spend about 600.00 for a family of four. My son is allergic to wheat, dairy and egg and some of his "specialty" items are quite expensive.
    Anonymous

• I spend that amount for my family of 4 and 1/2 (Pregnant Me, DH, and 18 month old twins). LOL.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't know what we spend we just buy it as we need it
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I spend roughly $500 a month on going grocery shopping...which includes cleaning products, clothes, hygiene/personal care products, and diapers for two kids. I'm sure it could get a little cheaper but I buy a lot of fresh produce and whole wheat breads and pastas and organic whenever I can. I also tend to get things before I run out and I'm really trying to break that habit! I've also noticed when I really plan out the week's meals I spend less so hopefully my monthly costs will go down with me doing that more.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would say about 600 as well since going organic. Before that is what about 350-400.
    Anonymous

• Oh I'm anon 1118 and that's for a family of 5
    Anonymous