Approximately how much do you spend on groceries and cleaning supplies a month?

I was just reading that the "cheapest family in America" spends $350 dollars a month in groceries and cleaning supplies a month for a family of 7??
How much do you spend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ramen noodles and bologna.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• We spend around $60 a week for 3 people. I make many of our own cleaning products. We don't use disposable anything. Past the age of 2,the only beverage humans need is water; don't buy juice, milk, soda, etc., except as a special treat. Cook from scratch. Replace meat with beans, seitan, lentils & tofu. Cook dried beans instead of buying canned. Make your own seitan. Whole grains, like whole wheat pasta & brown rice, may cost more than simple grains, like white rice & pasta, but they are more filling &more nutritious, so they really are the better value. Frozen fruits & vegetables often cost less than fresh; they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life & holding their nutrition longer. Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries & whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies & a little bit of cheese with whole grain toast.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• cont.

Before you go to the grocery store, plan your meals & snacks for the next 8 days.Base your grocery list on your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons. Eat before you shop. Buy only what’s on your list. The sales at the store are not to save you money, but to get you to buy more than you need; if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next 3-4 weeks, don't buy it. If you would like some delicious, healthy & family/budget friendly recipes, feel free to contact me. -Robin

• We spend around 250 dallors for a family of 4 on Gro.and cleaning supplies. And I do coupons, and make my own laundry soap. Hit alot of sale every chance I get. Plus we put out a larger garden in the summer to help bring the gro cost down more.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 10:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• We spend about 600.00 for a family of four. My son is allergic to wheat, dairy and egg and some of his "specialty" items are quite expensive.
    Anonymous

• I spend that amount for my family of 4 and 1/2 (Pregnant Me, DH, and 18 month old twins). LOL.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't know what we spend we just buy it as we need it
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I spend roughly $500 a month on going grocery shopping...which includes cleaning products, clothes, hygiene/personal care products, and diapers for two kids. I'm sure it could get a little cheaper but I buy a lot of fresh produce and whole wheat breads and pastas and organic whenever I can. I also tend to get things before I run out and I'm really trying to break that habit! I've also noticed when I really plan out the week's meals I spend less so hopefully my monthly costs will go down with me doing that more.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I would say about 600 as well since going organic. Before that is what about 350-400.
    Anonymous

• Oh I'm anon 1118 and that's for a family of 5
    Anonymous