what is something u want to do with your kids Different from ur childhood

for me i never had sat down to family dinners with my dad.. i was raised by dad my mom was out of the picture ..my sister and i would got out to eat with him on saturday nights which was nice.. however during the week we cooked and feed ourselves... so i really cherish week day meal time at my house.. so does my sister.. she comes to eat with us all the time. ..how has your child hood affected your parenting style.. my parent was a authority figure all the time.. so therefore i might lead toward equal rights.. let your voice be heard..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Most everything! I do not have a normal relationship with my mother and I want so badly to be close with my daughter! I want to take my kids on all the vacations I never got to take and make them feel loved and cherished and not like they are a burden which is how my parents always made me feel!
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• not be an alcoholic or smoke weed with him when he's 14. help him with his homework, be there if he needs to talk or needs advice, play games with him whenever he wants.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• sit down dinners.. family night... more responsibilities (i should have had more!).... be active in her school life, make sure she is LEARNING & just not "making the grade", the grade doesnt mean SHIT! PTA,...... Help her be active in activities she likes weather its soccer, basketball, gymnastics, choir, ROTC, ect.. I want my kid to learn she is good at something (im clueless at what im good for, lol!).....
    Thats all I can come up with for now.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I don't want them to think that growing up someone else, or something else, was always more important then they are. I still struggle with never being the more important one growing up.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• When I was growing up, I was taught that things were a certain way (right, wrong, etc) and that was that--until junior high school, I never even considered that anyone thought any differently. I actually remember it being quite a blow!

I want my child(ren) to know how to think for themselves; to speak their minds, to question what they are told, and to stand up for their principles. All of this in a respectful way, of course--an outspoken, curious child is good; a loud-mouthed brat is NOT. lol.
    AutumnBlessing

Answer by AutumnBlessing at 12:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well, I want my daughter and her father to be close. I haven't spoken with my father in over a year. I want to be more patient and understanding than my parents were. I want to be more supportive than my parents were.

I want to help her to broaden her experience and to try things. You never know if you might be a great pianist, dancer, athlete, or even actress if you never have the opportunity to try.

I want to let her make her mistakes and be there to catch her if she falls.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I want my DD's emotional well being to matter. That pretty much sums up most of it. We plan raising her to be happy, healthy, successful, and well adapted socially. My family was just "shut up and watch cartoons". My mother was just a provider and punisher, not mom. My dad wasn't around. I want my DD to have real parents.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I am ending the cycle of violence with my daughter. No spanking, hitting, yelling, dominating, etc. There is absolutely no room for any of that crap in our family.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 5:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I want to play with my child. I want to spend time with him and tell him that he is a cool kid....that he is worth spending time with. Getting to know his likes and dislikes rather than just assuming or assigning things to him that I think he should like or wouldn't be good at. I also want my child involved with some activity outside of school like dance, karate, swimming, pottery. Something that can give him a sense of accomplishment. Whatever it is that he is interested in I will find a way to support that and explore it. Even if that means one year we are doing guitar lessons and next year we are into something else. I'm also not going to verbally use profanity diredcted at him when he has made a poor choice. Calling him a retarded asshole is not in the cards. I will not have him growing up thinking "retard" is his first name.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2009