Does being a teen mother cause you to grow up faster or hold you back?

In general. I know every situation is different, and every teen is different. But lets say a 16 year old become a mom, and keeps the baby. Then she has parents who help her take care of her baby. Does this cause her to grow up and mature faster, or does this teach her to rely on her parents more and therefore hold her back in her maturing? What caterory is this btw?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My grand neice had her baby at 15 and she is now living on her own at 19 and going to med school.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think having a child causes, or SHOULD cause, a person to mature and get their priorities straight at ANY age. I don't think age has something to do with it. Having a baby should have someone mature and realize their life will never be the same now.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Im a young mother and it certainly made me mature faster. Yes my mom helps but thats when I have to cram for a big test. Many peers my age are off partying while im managing school (college), a baby, and a job to pay my bills. I have absolutely no interest in parties, heck I maybe hang out with friends once or twice a month. However this certainly is NOT how it is for every young mom. I know moms my age who every weekend are out partying. So every case is different and it really depends on how the mother takes on her responsibility.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I had my daughter at 17 & I think it was both for me. I grew up in that I took care of my DD all the time & I had to keep her healthy & arrange for child care while I went to college & work for money for her clothes & insurance & medical care. At the same time, I lived with my parents until I was 20, then moved out for a year, then moved back for 2 years. I really regret that. If I had it to do all over, I would have moved out when I was 18. Yeah, it would have been a lot harder but I think it would have been better for my DD. She would have had one set of rules--not the rules when Mom is home & the rules when Mom is at work. Plus, I would have been forced to work harder instead of just doing the bare minimum. So, I grew up a lot when I had DD, but I also depended on my parents way too much.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I had my daughter at 19. I never really got to enjoy the late teens and early twenties. I was a good mom, but once the kids grew up, I wanted to have my fun. I divorced my hubby of 16 years because I didn't get the fun when I was a kid. So, if you are thinking of having a baby or even getting married, chances are like 95% it won't work out.
    Anonymous

• I had my son at 15. I am 18 years old, with a wonderful man, and living on my own. I dropped out of school, achieved my GED and plan on going to college in the fall. I'm positive my son saved my life. When I got pregnant I was doing cocaine, getting into crack, partying and being particularly careless. Now i am a responsible adult...
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Most teen moms I know were stunted by early motherhood. They never got to really figure out who they are or what they want. I spent my childhood waiting for my mom to grow up as did most of my friends. It really sucked. My mom at the time would have said we were fine she looks back as a 52 year old and will tell you she put her kids through hell. She was not ready as most kids are not. My mom is a fantastic mom and grandmother now. At 37 when the youngest left home she was able to go to school and figure out what she wanted to be. My dad and her divorced as most teen parents do after so many years of simply being parents and never really having a real marriage. She found the actual man of her dreams and lives a great life. She has no regrets having kids she just wished she had gone to college, lived on her own a bit, married then had kids. She knows it would have been better for her and for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• These are some great stories :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Noway for me to say because it truely depends on the individual.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think it depends on the individual. I know a woman who had her oldest when she was 16, and her parents raised the kid while she went out and partied. The kid is now 11 yrs old, the mom just started raising him but still puts the party life first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jun. 14, 2009