If you died today, would you be a happy phantom?

:) It's a song by Tori Amos. In it she sings of the things she'll do when she dies and becomes a happy phantom, when she is no longer constrained by fear, worry, or doubt, just going around having fun and living in complete carefree freedom and joy. (That's the impression I get, anyway. LOL) And I wonder, what if it really is like that - being dead - that our soul is simply released from the trivial concerns of life and can play joyfully in the world (and with the world) as intended. Perhaps that's Nirvana/Heaven... not a separate place, but THIS place, without those constraints. Perhaps reincarnation is coming back to a life of human foibles, and release from that is to be free in the world without a material body and the attached ego/identity.

Anyone else think this might be the case, or wonder about that? The question about the paranormal made me think of this...

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 11:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like that idea. Especially the no stress.
    I think being free is part of death and I dont see why having no pain, stress,etc wouldnt be a part of that. Even if we came back and reincarnated, we'd still have that joy inside us somewhere even if we dont remember it. Perhaps thats why we smile at certain songs or birds or sounds,etc.?
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I love the thought that pure joy and happiness is an afterlife possibility. Not in the Christian sense or anything, but kinda like you described it.

If I *did* die today though, I don't think I'd be a very happy spirit. I love my physical vices (sex and rock n roll baby!) too much =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I believe we know nothing and are dead. Until the ressurection, wether we are ressurected in the first one to life or the second ressurection into damnation.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• Yeah, I am going to be a happy phantom. Boy is it going to be fun to mess with some of my family and friends. lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• LOL Ashley.

I think if I died right now...Id be a bit peeved as my boys are still so young. But I could be their happy phantom, just not quite the same tho LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If I died right now, I would be pissed. I want to see my kids grow up
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 12:17 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• NO SUCH THING! MAKE BELIEVE KIDS!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Have never been dead, but Jesus was and the disciples were able to touch his hands and side where He was crucified.

All I know is that we will have a new body and I will be with Jesus. We are promised joy and peace, no more pain, no more sorrow. But all I truly care about is seeing Jesus. Sometimes I long to go and be with Him but there is still things He wants me to do here. The apostle Paul said in Philipians 1:21-24
    21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.
    So I am torn as he was.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:27 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I plan to resurrect myself. Start my a religion based on me because well I am pretty rad. And everyone will have to take coffee and mini-wheats as sacrament......

of course I am joking...but meh..I might be a really mean phantom
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• It's kind of funny you asking this, have you ever been diagnosed with what could be a termnal condition? I was. I am a breast cancer survivor. When I was 1st diagnosed the thought of leaving my husband & kids worried me. But thru massive prayer, many talks with my Heavenly Father & Scripture reading, I faced the demon of cancer covered by the blodd of my Savior & all fear departed.
    If I had died I wouldn't call myself a happy phantom but a joyous child going home to Heaven
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 5:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2009