whats up with my boss?

i work PT at a restaurant/bar, serving and bartending. i tend to think i am a good worker. there are only 2 employees. me and another girl, which she only works one night a week. other than us, the owner also works there. only the owner is full time. i hear her make comments about good help being hard to find. it really bothers me, not so much hurts my feelings, bc i can suck up alot...this business can do that to you. but like today she said it to a table that came in and then it just ran thru my mind all night and became sort of a distraction for me. i just kept thinking like, "damn why does she say that?" and another bar called and asked if she could "give" them a bartender a few nights a week and she told them nobody was good enough- then she told me thats what she said. im thinking, like "what the hell is wrong withyou lady?" and she is so nice to me, always brings things in for my kid and wants us to come visit? wdyt???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• cont. from above...i also have many years experienced and definitely know how to do my job. i pick up shifts when needed and do not slack off. she knows i could use more money so when an offer comes up, i dont get why she wouldnt consider me. am i being crazy for meing so annoyed?
    Anonymous

• Without seeing how you really work, obviously I have no idea. But maybe she thinks you and the other girl are good help and she's just saying that good help is hard to find and she considers herself lucky. Maybe she didn't want to loan you to the other bar for fear you would start working there all the time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• She probably doesn't even realize that she does it. Sounds to me like she is lacking any social graces whatsoever and that is her way of starting a conversation with people because she has a hard time thinking of things to talk about. She has had success by saying things about other people so she believes that is acceptable...and it's not. Maybe you could find a way to address it to her and just ask if your performance at work is what she expects and if it's not how you can step it up a level or two for her so she will be less apt to say those things. She will probably be completely shocked that you are asking and you will have to explain to her the examples that you have stated above. May not change anything at all, but it's worth a shot. When you ask someone a question like that though, you have to prepare yourself for any answer they may give you...that's the tough part. Good luck!
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• And no...you are far from crazy for being annoyed. I think that most people would be annoyed and even angered by the comments made. You also deserve an explanation and to tell her how you feel and why without her getting to upset. Your feelings are certainly valid IMO.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I think she's a perfectionist who probably thinks she is carrying the workload. If she is working full time at the place and doing the business owner side as well she has quite the workload but that being said she is quite inappropriate in the way she talks to you. If she was really that unsatisfied with you why not fire you? I am sure she would miss you if you just didnt show up!!
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• i think your boss is a bitch
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I deal w, this ,,im actually leaving,,its nuts.....i cant people can be so petty...
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 6:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Honesly, I think that this is just her way of making conversation, and that she doesn't really mean it. With the current state of the economy, she could easily replace all of her employees if she believed that they were subpar.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I would actually try to look at it as a compliment. She thinks good help is hard to find, but you are working there. So that must mean you are a good worker. As for telling someone else that no one is good enough for her to loan to them, she probably just doesn't want to give up her help, so instead of sounding selfish by saying that, she said no one was good enough.

I can see why you would take it the way you did, but I would try to turn it around and see it the way I described above.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2009