When is it still safe to have intercourse while pregnant?

Okay I was wondering until what month is it okay to still have intercourse?
I know doctors say until your 8th month but I wanted to make sure and see what you guys have done or think about this matter?

lilangel_4206

Asked by lilangel_4206 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Oops I had sex right up to my induction date. I thought one was able to unless the Dr. advises otherwise.
    Anonymous

• yeah its okay
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• I had sex when I was 40 weeks pregnant--past my due date. I was trying to get her out!!! (Didn't work, btw) If you feel up to it & you are otherwise healthy, have sex until your water breaks.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2009

• You can have intercourse - even wild abandoned hot action - until the day you go into labor. In fact, it's beneficial for those last weeks in preparing the cervix - the semen helps to soften it. (In fact, the stuff they use in the hospital to do the same thing is derived from pig semen!) And the oxytocin and other hormones help things along as well. Some couples even make love during early labor, if they are alone and the woman is feeling like she wants that connection.

Sex will not bring on premature labor or harm you or the baby in any way during a healthy normal pregnancy. The only exceptions are if you are at risk for preterm labor - starting to dilate early, bleeding, contractions. Your dr or mw will tell you what you can or can not do. Even if intercourse isn't acceptable, sometimes oral and manual stimulation is still fine. Other times even that is too much.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Unless you have a high-risk pregnancy or your doc tells you otherwise, it's safe right up until your water breaks! lol
    AutumnBlessing

Answer by AutumnBlessing at 12:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• its ok until your dr says not to
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 12:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• In the words of a woman from my last DDG, "We had sex all the time right up until each of our kids was born. None of them have come out dented yet." LOL Unless you have medical conditions that contra-indicate sex (like bleeding late in pregnancy, pre term labor, and so on) there's no reason to stop having sex just because you're pregnant. Sages of the Middle Ages were of the opinion that sex during the first 3 months was not a benefit to mother or child (but not a harm either), sex during the second 3 months was of benefit to the mother, and sex during the last part of pregnancy was of benefit to both mother and unborn child. I think pregnancy is a great time for exploring: With a belly in the way and sore hips, you can't necessarily rely on standby positions/techniques so it's the perfect time to try out different ways of being intimate. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My baby was due two days before DH's birthday - I wanted her to be born ON his birthday, so when she didn't come on her due date, the doctor told me to "have vigorous sex to induce labor" - it worked! Our first daughter was born ON my DH's b-day! I gave him a bday present that morning and Tah-Dah! ODD was born almost exactly 12hrs later!

My point in telling this story, is that I believe you can have sex up to the due date, but it has to be gentle intercourse, or you might induce labor. :)

That being said - consult your doctor and ask him/her for recommendations.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 12:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• ive heard they say sex is good during pregnency i heard on a tv show that its good when u closer to your date, sumthing about itll help put u into labor dont know how true it is thats just what ive heard
    kristy_shawn03

Answer by kristy_shawn03 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 15, 2009