I just found out that I am pregnant and based on my last period I am five weeks but I have not yet went to the doctor. When should I schedule an appointment? Is five weeks to soon?

princess246

Asked by princess246 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should call right away. :-) But be prepared for the person on the other end to tell you that they don't start prenatal visits until 8 or even 12 weeks gestation. If you argue, you can probably get an appointment earlier than that though. With my first, I was on fertility treatment so I got seen instantly, got extra ultrasounds, extra bloodwork, everything. This time, we didn't have to try. Problem was, I hadn't had a normal cycle since the birth of my first and my LMP was 2 YEARS ago! So again, I got seen immediately and had an early ultrasound to try and determine a due date. My midwife did just as good of a job making an educated guess as the ultrasound tech could.

It depends a little on your preferences. If you're doing okay with early pregnancy, don't feel you need much oversight/supervision, wait a month or two before your first apointment. But if that's not your style, get one sooner. Blessings!
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:40 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• you usually schudule as soon as you know you are pregnant
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Right when you find out, good luck!!!
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:24 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Nope I would call and make one. They usually want to see you by eight weeks. Congrats.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I scheduled the day I tested positive that early they usually just do blood work and urine test to confirm the pregnancy and try to give an approx. due date based on you LMP.
    Soon2Be8489

Answer by Soon2Be8489 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Just call the doctors office and tell them "i just found out i was pregnant, and i need to schedule an appointment." theyll set it for when you need to go in.

Congratulations :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• congratulations!!

you just call and schedule an appointment. it's not a big rush, just get in before 8 weeks like the previous poster said. =)

congratulations again!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 12:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2009