Don't know where to post...Confused...what is the deal? Pay own electricity? Included in rent??

When we first started renting this apartment we paid rent which included all the utilities, a year later we got a new landlord and he changed it to you have to pay your own electricity but the people that have already lived here were grandfathered, they could either choose to pay their own electricity or have it all included in their rent. The other day he asks my SO if we got the letter stating we have to pay our own electricity and my SO called me and I said no and he said that we now have to pay our own electricity. Is this normal/fair/legal? I don't know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• look in your rental agreement... it may say that they have the right to change it at anytime.

thats what ours says for water..
    if it DOESNT say that, bring it up to them. you agreed to this and it needs to stay UNLESS otherwise stated in the rental agreement.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Contact your local renters' rights office (in Chicago, you can get the number by calling 311).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Thanks ladies, those two answers helped me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jun. 14, 2009