How do i get my 3 month old to sleep through the night.

my son is 2 months. at birth he was 7 pounds 12 oz. now he's 11 pounds and growing FAST!!. he eats 6-7 oz every 2-3 hours. And faithfully, every 2-3 hours, every night he gets up. He eats and sometimes stays up. how can i get him to go back to sleep.

and, how can i keep him up in the day so that he can sleep more at night?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• typo on the title. my son is 2 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• {PRay... lol
    there really isnt a way to GET them to sleep through the night, you could try but its left to them lol..

keep them active during the day, take him on a walk, do stuff.. but if it he REALLY tired, let him sleep he needs it if he is.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• At two months they typically don't sleep through the night. My son was 7 months before he did. I fed on demand so we never had a schedule. It was rough but that is just how parenting is. You should sleep when the baby sleeps and make the best of it. When you little one is ready to sleep through the night they will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If he sleeps longer stretches during the morning hours, you can just wake him up every few hours in the a.m. to try and "switch" the schedule so he sleeps longer at night. If he keeps the same schedule morning and night (waking every 2-3 hours) you just have to roll with it, lol. It gets better (in my experience anyway). And at night I would feed under a dim light, with no tv or anything loud. During the day I would have music on and bright light. Trying to convey the message that dark means sleep, light means stay awake. Good luck :)
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 1:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• every baby is different. my LO has been sleeping through the night since she was a month old. try a nice warm bath at night followed by a feeding for about a week.
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 1:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• get some cream of wheat and make it to were it's waterey not thick and feed him some of that you might have to make the hole bigger in the nipple so it can flow through and then after you fed him put him to bed and he should sleep all night cuz cream of wheat fills them up, you can even make it out of formula not milk but my sister and I both used milk we just boiled it first,
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:24 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• DO NOT GIVE YOUR 2 MONTH OLD CEREAL AS SUGGESTED. Their stomachs cannot break it down so they either throw it up or poop it out and along with it all the nutrients so then he will want to eat more, get chubby and be unhealthy.Meanwhilke your poor baby is suffering with a tummy ache. i cannot believe there are women still going against their childrens best interest to do that...ridiculous and lazy parenting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• luckily i havent had to be in your situation but here is what friends told me...dont use cream of wheat, only use baby rice cereal. put a table spoon of cereal in his last bottle for the night, say around 10 pm or so, you will have to poke a bigger hole in his nipple, use a sewing needle. should help him. also as Kiiimmm said, if he wakes at night to eat, try to even feed in the dark, also for his evening feeding, try dimming the lights, he needs to associate dark with bed time. if/when he wakes at night to feed, feed, burp, and right back to bed no playing or anything. do whatever you have to to ge him back to sleep asap. gotta get him ona nighttime schedule! good luck!
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 2:46 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Naps during the day are really important too. Adequate day time napping means that babies sleep better at night. Dont make the mistake of trying to keep him up to get him really tired because then he will be overtired and EVEN harder to settle :( I think some suggestions are really good but I would avoid rice cereal. In my experience it actually does not make them sleep better or longer.

My DD is 3.5 months and this is what I have done to get her to sleep through the night. I have a very specific night time routine which seperates her days and night. She has a bath and massage and the I feed in a very dim room. She goes down when she is drowsy but still awake and then will fall asleep. If she wakes up (she does at about 3am for a quick feed) I feed her in the dark and try to get to her asap, before she has a chance to fully wake up. I feel terrible but I wont talk or play with her just smile and give her a kiss ...
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 4:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• ... she usually gets the message and gets bored so finishes her bottle and goes back to sleep.

But during the day I am very active and always in a bright room until 15 mins before her nap time when we go into a dim room to settle for sleep

Remember "sleeping through the night" refers to a stretch of 5 hours or more and it is normal for your baby to be doing what he is. I know it is hard but hang in there.

Good luck

mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 4:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2009