Any advice on potty training?

I did a search on potty training and none of the questions were what I wanted. So this is for all you mommas out there that have experience with the whole potty training gig.

I haven't been in any hurry to potty train. I didn't have any set time that I wanted to start. I have been letting my daughter decide when it is time to do things.

Well, she just started in the last few days letting me know when her diaper is wet or dirty. So, I am thinking that maybe it means that she is getting ready. Maybe it even means that she realizes that a clean, dry diaper is much more comfortable.

So, where should I start? We have a potty. I wanted to have one in case she suddenly wanted to use it. I also have some training pants.

What are some things that you all tried and what worked? I still don't want to hurry her, I just want to be ready to support her in doing it on her own.

casperskitty

Asked by casperskitty at 12:58 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• The best tool for potty training I found was the "Elmo's Potty Time" DVD. Yes, it drove me crazy because I had to watch it about fifty times a day, but it really helped my daughter. There's lots of Sesame Street characters, silly songs, and words a little one can understand and repeat. Once she started going to the potty every now and then, I bought a pencil box, which we decorated together, and filled it full of stickers. I kept it on the back of the toilet, and every time she peed in the potty, she got one sticker, and every time she pooed, she got two stickers. She's a fiend for all things sticker, so this worked wonders with her. Later, we went to the store and she got to pick out her own panties. (Dora, of course.)
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 1:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I have potty trained two kid so far. With the first we push and he pushed back, it became a power struggle that we couldn't win. We started pushing at his second birthday and he peed his pants until he was five.
    With the second, he was interested in the potty, like what you are describing. We let him go when he wanted. We never pushed it. When he was about two and a half he started holding his pee, he would go long stretches without peeing in his diaper. At two years nine months he woke up one morning and had a dry diaper and on his own went to the potty without us coaching him at all. We actually were still in bed and the sound of him peeing in the potty woke us up.lol
    He never peed his bed again. He had two poop accidents that week and then no more. He was completely potty trained in one week.
    My advice is wait and let her do it when she is ready. I should say that we bought books about going to the potty and seat @ 2y3m.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:07 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• She has tons of books. I never thought about books about potty training. I will definitely get a couple for her. Thanks, that was really good advice-she loves a new book.

She is 2 1/2 now. And, I am not in a hurry to get her potty trained. I don't mind diaper changing. I just want her to feel that we are supporting her when she is ready.

She doesn't talk much but I have been trying to give her words to use like pee-pee and poo-poo.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• "She doesn't talk much but I have been trying to give her words to use like pee-pee and poo-poo. "

___________________

My LO was running around at 28 months yelling.."I has Craps!" Whenever he had a dirty diaper. That was when I was wishing he didn't talk as much.lol
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:43 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Thanks. Those are also some very good ideas. I will have to look for the Elmo DVD. If I can't find it, I will order it through Borders.

And "I has craps" ROTFLOL

That is the funniest thing I have read tonight.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• my son is 2yrs 8 months, and he has been potty trained since the week of his 2nd birthday. i believe i owe it all to this book i found at the library. i'll have to call to get the exact name, but it was about a "potty party". i know it sounds rediculious, but it worked. you take a day and name it potty day. you buy a new doll or bear, (i used curious george), and give it to them at the begining of potty day. have them take the toy 2 the potty with them, and "teach" it how to go. then tell them that if they both go the the potty all day, that you will have a special "potty party" when daddy gets home. i took mine to chuck-e cheese. i swear it potty trained my son in one day. im sure i left out some important details, but i'll get the title of the book and put it on here.

the only downfall.....now every evening when my hubby comes home, we have to have a "potty party" Caden dances around his feet and asks for a cookie.
    mandy0510

Answer by mandy0510 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I agree with you about letting the child lead the way on this....It is actually very important that it NOT be your achievement when the child uses the potty but her decision and her achievement. It is the beginning of self-control and you definitely don't want it to be a power struggle if you can avoid it. When you do it that way, many kids aren't potty trained until around 3 rather than two, but the process is less painful for everyone. When you hear about parents who describe their kids as trained but that they have x-number of accidents on a daily basis....or even still wear a diaper or pullups to bed, the child isn't really trained. There is no rush....let it be your child's thing! What is more personal than using the bathroom..... Books and dvds are great, but only as ways to talk about it and let the child develop an interest in a fun way.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• These were all great answers and I have taken this advice and written it down to remember. I really appreciate your help. It was a difficult choice for best answer between '3 is enough' and BJoan. But in the end, my favorite advice was from '3 is enough'.

Thanks so much to everyone.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 11:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2009