My 7 yr. old son is very skinny and has now dropped below the 5% mark. The Dr. is watching his progress but thinks that he's healthy. At what point should I be really concerned? Also, what is the best way to help him gain weight?

buckeye702

Asked by buckeye702 at 1:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Health

• keep him healthy. does he like carnation drinks give him 5 a day with whole fat milk and raw honey in some lemonade/tea cooler should help . also start cooking lots of turkey bacon and eggs boys love bacon!lol wet his appetite a little get some reddiwhip and icecream too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• 3 a day is prob better,lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My daughter started out in the 75th % when she was born. Within 6 months, she was in the 50th %. By a year old, she was below the 25th %.

Now she is 30 months and is in the 1st %. She has been for more than a year now. She is just going to be petite. What her doctor really goes by is how she is proportionally. And her weight to height ratio is in the 50th % which is where it should be.

My best friend's youngest son is 7 and he should still be in a booster seat because he is under weight. But he isn't tall.

You should talk to your pediatrician about your son's weight to height %. You might find that his weight is right where it should be for his height. Or, if he is tall, he just may end up one of those tall lanky kids. I wouldn't worry unless the doctor is.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• get him yogurt immune helpers too just prevent him from getting sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't stuff him with food. You will end up with a fat kid and there is just another new problem. He needs to eat as healthy as any other kid. And when he is hungry. Not all the time.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• "carnation drinks give him 5 a day with whole fat milk"

5 of those everyday is a great way to get him very constipated. All three of my kids are under the 5th percentile and my 6 year old is the smallest for her age (24 pounds). I tried giving her the carnation drinks and pediasure, but too much of that binds her up. For a long time I was making her ice cream or yogurt "smoothies" with peanut butter added. That helped some, but not much....

I know its hard when your child is very thin because it makes you feel like they are not getting enough to eat. Also, strangers look at you like you are starving your child, but that isn't the case at all. Just keep giving him a balanced choice of healthy foods and he should do just fine.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• MILK! They say only give them 4 cups(8oz. each) a day and we started doing that and our son started to get so skinny so we went back to when ever he wanted it, about 10 cups a day(I know a lot) but man he packed on the weight! They go through a stage where they just don't want to eat, don't worry just keep giving him milk! Also pasta is very filling and white rice. If possible try 6 meals a day instead of 3, he may be hungrier at certain times of the day that are not breakfast, lunch or dinner time. Try the 6 small meals to see when he eats, just keep trying new things and if he refuses to eat just make sure he's drinking a lot of milk!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Feed him calorie and nutritionally rich foods. Sprinkle ground flax, olive or hemp or flax oil, nutritional yeast, etc., where ever you can.
    Here are a couple of ideas (let me know if you would like some recipes):
    Whole grain toast with avocado and ground flax
    Whole grain tortilla with bean, chopped veggies, cheese, nutritional yeast, hemp oil
    Brown rice with veggies, tofu, ginger and garlic cooked in olive oil, with soy sauce or Braggs (dinner tonight) - make sure that at least one veggie has vitamin C to increase the absorption of the iron in the tofu
    Smoothie with frozen blueberries, frozen banana, yogurt (the real kind with live cultures and without gelatin and HFCS), kale (loaded with iron and calcium), orange juice (C to increase iron abosorption)
    Noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    Tamale Bean Pie
    Southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    Squashed macaroni
    Sweet potato & black bean burritos

Answer by rkoloms at 9:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My son is 8 and is 3'9 and weighs 38 lbs. He is not malnourished and he is most definately no where close to being on a growth chart LOL. He hasn't been on the chart since around 2 yrs, old. In the beginning when his weight gain started to slow (around 18 months) his doctor felt he was healthy, but as a precaution tested him for everything under the son. He had boodwork, urine and stool samples to test for parasites, a sweat test for Cystic Fibrosis. All negative. My son is just little and skinny. My family is all small. I'm 5'0. my dad is 5'6. My uncles are 5'5-5'6, one only 4'10 when he graduated high school (he was a jockey). He gets it honest. We tried the drinks and high calorie foods, but just abandoned all of that. He is what he is. My dr. said at his 8 yr check up that he is perfectly healthy. Do not try to stuff him with sweets and extra calories. Feed him healthy foods and he is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• "I wouldn't stuff him with food. You will end up with a fat kid and there is just another new problem. He needs to eat as healthy as any other kid. And when he is hungry. Not all the time."

I agree with this. Kids will not starve themselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2009