how do i get my daughter off of breast feeding?

i'm trying to get my daughter off of it ... she is 14months old already ... she does use zippy cups ... but doesnt like bottles or pacifiers ... and i' having a hard time pecause she does eat other foods but she dont eat enought for me to get her off completely ... i know it might sound stupid but i'm afraid of takin her off and her getting sick from not eating enought or something ...
i'm up for any suggestions , tips , tricks ... any thing ...
thank you ...

scared19yrold

Asked by scared19yrold at 1:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make it a slow transition. Offer her milk, or water, instead. Weaning slowly is healthier for both you and her. I would never ever consider quitting cold turkey unless medically necessary.

You drop one feeding ever 3-5 days. Naptime and night time nursing are usually the hardest to go. Snack or morning may be the easiest. I don't know how much your daughter nurses, but the ones that are least important to her are the ones to drop first. Slowly she will lose interest.

Instead of offering her the breast, you can offer a sippy or something else. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• you just have to stop breastfeeding her, and if she gets hungry she will just eat more of the other foods, and if she's not hungry she will let you know when she is, but don't breastfeed her, so don't be scared just have to be strong and do it, good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:31 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well, first of all, it's important that you know that what you're doing isn't weird or anything... it's normal :) My daughter is almost 13 months and we have no intentions on quitting any time soon. The World Health Organization recommends a minimum of 2 years, to continue "as long thereafter as mutually desireable." There are also lots of benefits to extended nursing.

That said, if you really have a problem with continuing to nurse, considering all the benefits it still has for your daughter and yourself, and you're sure you're ready to stop, I have heard the best way to wean a toddler is to delay and distract. When she wants to nurse, distract her with some snack or a toy, or delay until later. Eventually she will lose interest. Keep in mind that stopping suddenly risks mastitis, and trust me, you don't want that. Gradulally is the way to go.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If she will drink from a sippy cup, then it could be fairly easy. You can pump some breast milk and fill a sippy cup about 3/4 or 1/2 with breast milk and then the rest of the way with whole milk. After a week, put in about 1/4 less breast milk. After another week, lessen the amount of breastmilk again. During this time, only give her the breast if she insists.

This is how I did it. And I had her on whole milk at a year old. We switched over to 2% when she was 2.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• my mom tells me to breastfeed for as long as you can. i is more healthyer for the child if you do.
    now you can still however do the bottle, sippy cups and all the other tricks to get them to be more adapt to switch when the are to old to breastfeed. And you shouldnt try and rush to get the child to change , kind of like you cant rush your due date ya know. when they are ready...they will let you know.
    akeama12-03-09

Answer by akeama12-03-09 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• That is, only give her the breast at important times for her. My daugther's hardest feedings to give up were the bedtime and morning feedings so they were the ones continued the longest. But mixing the formula with whole milk made it easier for her to accept.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• The OP didn't ask for a bunch of preaching about how good breastfeeding is. She only asked about advice to help her wean her daughter.

Why try to make her feel bad? It doesn't make you a bad mother to only breastfeed for the first year any more than it makes you a bad mother not to breast feed at all. I am sure she has her reasons for wanting to quit and that is her business.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:44 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If you're quitting because you want to be done and not because of pressures from anyone else, then that's perfectly fine. Drop one feeding per week, leaving the most important for last (usually bedtime for toddlers). Do it gently with love and understanding that this is something very important and special to her.

If you're asking because OTHERS have made you feel you need to quit, then step back, look at all the great support and advice here, and do what makes YOU and YOUR DAUGHTER happy, not other people.

Good luck.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 2:17 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• KUDOS for making it so long. The WHO and AAP recommend nursing until AT LEAST 2 years old. So if you are stopping because of family and friends presuring you please keep that in mind. I almost stopped at 15 months with my first because of outside pressure and then I had a friend remind me of all the health benefits and I decided to stick with it.. That child made it to 18 months while I was pregnant with #2. #2 is now 24 months old and still going strong.

To quit you need to drop one feeding per day for 5-7 days and then drop another until you are no longer nursing. Save the ones that are most important (right before bed and nap usually) for the last to drop. This will save pain and possible mastitis. My first just quit about 18 months and I ended up with mastitis really bad at the very end.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:42 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• this is a good ?, i always planned on quiting at 12months but it doesnt seem to be working out that way,so hopfuly i dont go past 14 months.i would like to know this answer too.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2009