my toddler (17 months) is pooping in the bathtub!

I ask him and even sit him on the potty prior to the bath but every time I set him in there and turn to turn the water on, I look back and there are turds in the tub! It is a never failing thing now! He clearly is understand the "going potty" thing other then in his diaper what can I do? I for about two weeks spent every waking moment with him on the potty and he would never go...he went pp about two times on it only because I throw him on it as he was going pp. HELP this is getting ridiculous.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It would seem that now it is a game. I would stop reacting to it at all. I would quietly just scoop it out and go on with the bath. Now that it is getting such a funny reaction from you he will continue to do it, unless you take away the funny part.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well, it could be that he gets so relaxed in the bath that it just happens. LOL

My daughter pooped in the bathtub a few times. I didn't just scoop it out though. That demands new bathwater IMHO.

I can't really tell you what to do because mine just stopped it on her own.

But good luck.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I agree that it requires new bath water. I would just let the water out while he is still in there and then refill. But not make an issue about it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Do you give your baby a bath at the same time each time? Both my kids have bowel movements at about the same time everyday.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 2:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• could be a game, or the warm water is relaxing and causes him to poop. keep doing what your doing by asking him to go potty before bathtime and he'll eventually get it!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• "He clearly understands the "going potty" thing other then in his diaper"... NOT SO.

There is a world of difference between knowing he he went and knowing he has to go. Then throw in all the many, many reasons that toddlers are afraid to poop on the potty - how many reasons? As many as there are toddlers. As a final problem, consider that warm baths are a "cure" for minor constipation - the warm water can make kids go.

What to do?
    If his potty will fit in the tub, consider putting it in there with him and encourage him to switch to it when he feels the urge.
    OR
    Pay close attention to him when you put him in the tub. When you see your son get that look on his face, pick him up and move him to the potty or put a plastic bowl under him to catch the poop. Do NOT turn your back since you know this problem is occuring.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2009