Why is my nephew not able to use his legs?

My nephew is 4 1/2 months old and has no muscle strength in his legs. He can move them OK but he can not put weight on them. Example: I laid him in the floor and was pressing slightly on the bottom of his feet and they would just collapse. Instead of him pressing back like most babies do. ( I am a mother of three and have also worked in daycare's all my life so I have been around a lot of babies and none act like this) Also his arm are much the same way. I have to pick him up like a new born baby b/c if I don't he body just falls backward. I am very worried, can anyone help? My sister doesn't think that anything is wrong so she wont say anything to the Dr. but maybe if I can give her some good information she will believe me... By the way idk if this is relevent but she is a type 1 diabetic who did not take good care of herself during pregnancy.

motivatedmom24

Asked by motivatedmom24 at 1:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To me it sounds like the baby has low tone (floppy) and it is a concern at that age. It can be caused by many things... sometimes just general neglect, as in the baby lays around all day and doesn't have a chance to use the muscles... but it can also be caused by several disorders. The key is early intervention and therapy if there is a problem.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I don't know if the diabetes would have anything to do with it. Could be.

But what you are describing sounds similar to my best friend's sister. They found out when she was a few months old that she had cerebral palsy. She just wasn't doing the things that the other children had done. It is fairly severe. She had never been able to walk without braces. But the braces hurt so she usually does this crawling/hopping thing. Or she wheels herself around some in a wheelchair.

She is in her twenties now. She is kind of like a child. We know that there is a woman inside her, but she plays with toddler toys and behaves much like a child.

It may not be something like this, but it is definitely something to have checked out immediately. There is something wrong and the sooner she has it checked the better. If she does nothing, it will only get worse. If she won't tell the doctor, then you go with her next time and say something.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• He's still pretty young.. some babies just arent as quick as others are. i dont see anything wrong.. maybe if it was a few months later and he was doing the same thing then i would woryr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Please don't wait any longer. If she won't talk to the doctor about it, call her doctor if you have to. If it were me, I would. I wouldn't care if she got mad either.

If it turns out to be nothing, great. But it is best to be on the safe side. If something is wrong, then they need to know now.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• It would be normal if he is left in the carrier all day, not given tummy time or anything else. But a baby that age should definitely be able to at least support his weight briefly on his legs, when placed on his tummy he should be able to lift his head and shoulders off the floor, too.

But if she's not going to see it, there isn't much you can do except keep talking.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My daughter has cp and I could tell at 5 months.She was diagnosed at 9 months which is pretty rare. She was my second and I just knew something wasn't right. When I would try to carry her on my hip she had no strength in her truck or neck. She's 18 months now and I still hold her like a baby. She also has trouble holding her head up. Her arm and leg muscles are really tight (spastic). Because her legs are always flexed her feet are always pointed so she can't bare weight on them.

The doctors should be checking his muscle tone at check ups. Even if they DO notice low tone they prob wont diagnose him until he gets older.

I would talk to your sis about it. If she shares her concerns with her Dr. she may be able to get her son into an early intervention program. The sooner they start therapy the better. I know every child isdiff but if you know something's not right, especially with your background, I would say something
    IAMGmom

Answer by IAMGmom at 9:43 AM on Jun. 14, 2009