Why the double standard?

This is from something posted in P&CE about the rioting in Iran. But why is it when fundamentalist Christian women will only wear skirts or dresses, or Mennonite women always wear prayer caps they are simply following tradition, but when a Muslim woman covers her face she must be oppressed?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question!!! I think it's ridiculous to assume that someone is oppressed simply for following religious beliefs and trying to be loving members of society.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 3:44 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• This is a great question.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• The difference is, the Amish, Mennonite, etc do it by choice. The women in Iraq MUST wear the Berka(sp) Do you realize our military members whoare sering in the Middle East have to abide by the rules of the country & can't go out unaccompanied by a man? They must walk behind men just like the civilian women they are protecting do!!
    I personally have no problem with the Muslim women wearing their scarves or covering their faces if it's BY CHOICE not because if they're seen without it they can be stoned to death.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 5:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• They must wear the Burka because that is the rules when they go out of their homes.. they don't sleep with it, or run around their houses in it.. Just like when you go out of your house here in america you must have something that resembles a shirt or pants, skirt of covering.(whether it covers or not is not exactly the point) I can't really speak to whether women feel oppressed by it in iran. however, i can say that for myself and my friend's right here in America we wear our religious clothing, some wear just head covering, other wear facial covering and for us that is our religious right and we consider it an obligatory right given to Allah. It is not something just some religiously learned women wear.. it's something that if you know the religion and you want to please Allah and make all the doors of paradise open to you, then you wear it. and you wear it proudly and oppression never enters the ind infact you feel free!
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Striving to instill laws that follow the commandments of Allah are the right thing to do, whether a person agrees with it or not is not relevant. These commandments are put in place to keep order, to keep corruption at a minimal, they are put in place as acts of worship that are tangible, outward acts of worship that are pleasing to the Law giver. I don't know where stoning to death for not wearing the burka comes in. From my limited knowledge of my religion, i have not seen it a prescribed punishment in the Quran or Ahadiths. If this is indeed happening, i would guess that it is a law commanded by the state to increase good and decrease evil. However i can't speak to it in detail because well quite frankly, i am not familiar with the law that allows this. What i find appalling is that americans want to instill their values, their beliefs on others simply because they think it's a good thing howver they are far from good.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• as we see the rampant lewdness running loose across america. I applaud women who try to cover and be modest whtever religion they may be. What strikes me is that people believe muslim women are oppressed. (forget about other countries).. they think we are oppressed right here in america.... simply for following not what is traditional but what is commanded to us by our lord. Infact i believe that if a women does not cover she is actually oppressing herself by falling into practices of the world that have no benefit and infact are harmful to ther hereafter. (many muslim women don't cover for various reasons, that is a choice they make) whether it's a right choice or not, Allah will judge. it doesn't matter if i think it's oppression or not. we live in a country where we live and let live even at the detriment of society.. in other places, that's not the golden rule. society must be protected, sharia law does that
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Many Muslim women do not feel oppressed by wearing traditional clothing. I think that it depends on the individual. It is not the clothing but the entire process of whether or not that person thinks and feels oppressed. Perhaps some Muslum women are oppressed. Not by their faith and traditions but from the political regiem who uses their religion as an excuse to keep women in specific roles. This idea that the Muslim faith is oppressive is ignorant. The political forces that govern some Muslim people is what can be oppressive. It is two different arguments put into one. We don't say that Amish women are oppressed because of their simplicity and dress - or the traditional roles they carry out. Yet we say that about Muslim women. It has more to do with discrimination in relgion than about women's rights.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• IMO they are all oppressed,. but when you make a woman cover inch of her body including her face she is MORE oppressed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• There is more than just the fact that they have to hide their face that makes them oppressed. that is just the clincher. My God doesn't tell me to stand back and be a second class citizen. One more difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Wearing a skirt is a piece of clothing that still shows who you are and allows ppl to identify you. Wearing a cap hides any roots that may be in need of a little love n care. Wearing a full face cover hides your identity, you person and oppresses your self. It shows disrespect for the person who must be covered and not seen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2009